Catalog Data Sets

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

Catalog Data Sets

Postby DFuhr2010 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Looking for documentation to back up my belief that any dataset in a shared DASD (between multiple LPARs) environment need to be cataloged within each environment. I have a co-worker that seems to think this is acceptable, but I have always been one to follow the rule, if the DASD device is online to an LPAR, the datasets should be cataloged to that LPAR. If I am incorrect, than I will apologize to my co-worker.

Thanks

Dave
DFuhr2010

Re: Catalog Data Sets

Postby steve-myers » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 pm

DFuhr2010 wrote:Looking for documentation to back up my belief that any dataset in a shared DASD (between multiple LPARs) environment need to be cataloged within each environment. I have a co-worker that seems to think this is acceptable, but I have always been one to follow the rule, if the DASD device is online to an LPAR, the datasets should be cataloged to that LPAR. If I am incorrect, than I will apologize to my co-worker.

Thanks

Dave
The catalogs can be shared by several LPARs. They usually are. This means that if a data set is allocated (and cataloged) on LPAR 1, the data set is automatically cataloged on all the LPARs. The big trick here is the master catalogs on all the LPARs - which are not always shared - must have consistent catalog alias pointers. This is not always the case, for one reason or another. In the last 20 years or so IBM has made changes that permit the master catalog to be truly shared by several LPARs so there is just one master catalog for the entire complex. Many multiple LPAR sites do not do this, but it can be done and has made catalog administration much easier and more reliable.

The problem with what you say, "... need to be cataloged within each environment," The reality is there should be one, and only one, "environment," not multiple "environments,"
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS