DFHSM

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

DFHSM

Postby Bad Man » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi I am a Storage guy.I created a dataset on a work volume WRK001 and then I was unable to move it to ADRDSSU to a SMS volume. I then migrated it but unable to recall it

I tried various option since then but I get

ARC1001I YOYO.BMC.MVSRM.V7R7M0.UBBPARM RECALL FAILED, RC=0070, REAS=0001
ARC1170I DFSMSHSM ENCOUNTERED AN SMS-RELATED ERROR WHILE PROCESSING A DATA SET

and when try to recall it to sms volumes says

ARC1001I YOYO.BMC.MVSRM.V7R7M0.UBBPARM RECALL FAILED, RC=0006, REAS=0040
ARC1106I CANNOT ALLOCATE PRIMARY COPY ON TARGET VOLUME

I have tried with ===> hrecall 'ACSNS.BMC.MVSRM.V7R7M0.UBBPARM' forcenonsms unit(3390)
volume(wrk001)

but it says

INVALID KEYWORD, FORCENONSMS
REENTER THIS OPERAND -

what can I do to recall it. My target is also to get it to a SMS volume.
Bad Man

Re: DFHSM

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:08 am

First, is the original data set SMS-managed or not? If it is not, then your specifying FORCENONSMS is the exact opposite of what you need since this option is used when moving an SMS-managed data set to a non-SMS volume.

Second, the ARC1106I code 40 means
40 An attempt was made to place a non-SMS-managed data set on an SMS-managed volume. It is not possible to allocate a data set that is not SMS managed on a volume that is SMS managed. There are two conditions that can cause this:
The user-specified target volume of the recall or recovery is SMS managed.
The user did not specify a target volume on the request.
For recall, the volume was chosen by DFSMShsm from its list of non-SMS-managed primary volumes.
For recovery, DFSMShsm chose the volume from which the data set was backed up.
which indicates that you are attempting to handle a non-SMS-managed data set. You probably need to recreate the original data set, then copy it to a different data set name (one that is under SMS control).
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Bad Man » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:51 am

True when i ran forcenonsms as a batch job it restored it to a NONSMS voluem same what it was on before. Funny setup we have we have to create with some other hlq to make the dataset land on the desired volume and then rename.

however someone recomended to me that migrate with convert option and then recall could get it to the volume I want but that didnt work.
Bad Man

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:12 pm

The ACS routines control SMS management of data sets. I recommend you find the ACS routines for your site and figure out how they work. SMS management is usually based on data set name, and frequently on the high level qualifier. So, typically, if you have a data set that is not SMS-managed and you want to put it under SMS control, you have to rename it -- but the precise details will depend upon your site and how it has implemented the ACS routines. YOU may consider this a "funny setup" but it is very common at IBM mainframe sites.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS