Initializing a field to spaces

IBM's hierarchical database management system with a Database Manager (IMS DB) and a Transaction Manager(IMS DC)

Initializing a field to spaces

Postby sdbjz01 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:16 pm

I recently had a new field added to an existing database segment by our DBA. He told me that this field would automatically be initialize to low-values. Is there a way for the DBA to initialize this new field to 'spaces' rather then 'low-values' at the time when he makes this database changes?

Yes, I know I can write a program to intialize this new field but I was just wondering and there happens to be applications here that will not work if a field has low-values in it.
sdbjz01

Re: Initializing a field to spaces

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:27 pm

Hello sdbjz01 and welcome to the forums,

Yes, low-values is a typical initial value.

I was just wondering and there happens to be applications here that will not work if a field has low-values in it.
As this is a new field that no program currently uses (can't as it doesn't exist), the initial value shoud not be a problem.

Yes, I know I can write a program to intialize this new field
This could easily be done with a single update sql query. If you do not want (or are not permitted) to run the query in production, you might make a deal with the dba(s) that you would provide the query and jcl and they would run the update after the new field has been added.

I suspect that this is not the first new field ever added to a database and hopefuly, there are standards about how this is to be done on your system. If there are standards, i recommend following them. If there are none or if you believe they are incomplete, creating them or modifying the existing may be in order.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to IMS DB/DC