Generating a report on a KSDS

IBM's flagship sort product DFSORT for sorting, merging, copying, data manipulation and reporting. Includes ICETOOL and ICEGENER

Generating a report on a KSDS

Postby confusedIBMer » Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 am

I am trying to generate a report on a KSDS with Icetool. My code is:

//BRANCHES JOB 324,PROGRAMMER
//STEP1 EXEC PGM=ICETOOL
//TOOLMSG DD SYSOUT=A
//DFSMSG DD SYSOUT=A
//TOOLIN DD *
DISPLAY FROM(INPUTB) -
LIST(REPORT) ON(0,4,BI)
/*
//REPORT DD SYSOUT=A
//INPUTB DD DSN=HLQ.LLQ.BRANCHES,DISP=SHR

I run this as a JCL. The ON statement should cover the fact that the first thing of a branch is a '4-byte binary unsigned integer representing a 6-digit decimal branch sortcode (e.g. 420101)'
What I am hoping for is a report displayed in the sdsf with the binary number for each entry displayed. Instead the sdsf says job not run - jcl error. Please could someone assist
confusedIBMer

Re: Generating a report on a KSDS

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon May 15, 2017 9:42 am

Instead the sdsf says job not run - jcl error.

it would be nice to know the messagese issued when You ran the job.
post the full output of the run
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby confusedIBMer » Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 am

A few things from the sdsf: "following reserved data set names unavailable to branches"
"job branches waiting for data set"
"branches started - init 7 - class a"
confusedIBMer

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 am

following reserved data set names unavailable to branches

it means that somebody else has the dataset allocated with DISP=OLD
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Your failure to post the entire job output means we're not going to be able to help you much. From the System Messages, Vol 8 (IEF-IGD) manual:
IEFC452I

z/OS MVS System Messages, Vol 8 (IEF-IGD)
SA38-0675-02

IEFC452I
text - JOB NOT RUN - JCL ERROR
Explanation
Depending on the message text, one of the following:

JOBFAIL
The error was detected on a JOB statement and the job name is not known.
INVALID
The system detected an error in a JOB or other JCL statement, and the job name (the label on the JOB statement) is invalid.
jobname
The system detected an error in a JCL statement, or the job was cancelled while on the input queue.
procstep
The procedure was specified in the first operand of a START command. In this case, either the procedure was not found in SYS1.PROCLIB or, if found, the procedure had an error in a JCL statement. Message IEE122I or IEE132I will always follow this message.

The error message appears in the SYSOUT data set.

This message can also be issued for various environmental errors, such as an error occurring while trying to read a record from the JCL text data set or an I/O error occurring while trying to get procedure statements.
So you need to go through the various problems listed in the message and start identifying which is your issue. Please note that sometimes this message comes about because the site has specifically implemented some checks on the JOB statement, and there's no way we can tell you site-specific information like that. Contact your site support group if you believe this to be the cause.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to DFSORT/ICETOOL/ICEGENER