DELETE RECORDS GREATER THAN LRECL=15000

IBM's flagship sort product DFSORT for sorting, merging, copying, data manipulation and reporting. Includes ICETOOL and ICEGENER

DELETE RECORDS GREATER THAN LRECL=15000

Postby xboss » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:24 pm

I have a requirements to delete records greater than LRECL=15000 in a File.
If this is possible, can anybody please show me the way which manual I should be following. Sorry if I post this under wrong topic because I am not sure if the topic falls under DFSORT/ICETOOL/ICEGENER or there is any other utility to do this.
xboss

Re: DELETE RECORDS GREATER THAN LRECL=15000

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 pm

You could try something like this:

OPTION COPY
  OMIT COND=(1,2,BI,GT,+15000)

EDIT: Change to GT :-)

Second EDIT: Do you mean 15000 bytes of data, + RDW, or 14996 bytes of data + RDW?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Frank Yaeger » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 pm

I have a requirements to delete records greater than LRECL=15000 in a File.

As stated, this question makes no sense.

For a RECFM=FB file, LRECL=15000 means that each record is exactly 15000 bytes so you can't have a record greater than LRECL=15000.

For a RECFM=VB file, LRECL=15000 means that the maximum record in the file can only be 15000 bytes so you can't have a record greater than LRECL=15000.

Now if you really mean that you have a RECFM=VB file with an LRECL>15000 and you want to delete records with an RDW length>15000, you can do that
with the DFSORT OMIT statement BillyBoyo gave you. If you mean something else, then you have to explain more clearly what it is you want to do. An example of input records and expected output records would help.
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Frank Yaeger
Global moderator

Postby xboss » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 am

Billy showed me the exact direction I was asking for. Thanks Billy.

Frank,
Sorry for my bad wording, but I got my answer.
xboss

Postby Frank Yaeger » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:08 am

Luckily for you, Billy answered the question based on what you meant, not what you said. :D
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Frank Yaeger
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:57 am

You're right Frank, and it is a good point.

In this business we communicate complexity amongst ourselves, the somewhat arcane which we understand successfully because both parties know what they mean.

The wheels may fall off as soon as fewer than both parties are using the same words but not talking about the same thing.

Usually there are either obvious inconsistencies, or at least little hints, and we seek clarification from the other party and avoid the looming problem, big or small.

I "guessed" at what you meant, since otherwise what you were saying seemed nonsense. Even then I wasn't sure, since I was guessing, whether you were including the RDW or not. Problem with that approach, you might be talking nonsense but my guess at what you want can still be wrong.

If all that isn't bad enough, we then talk to business people, with their own terminology. If we aren't careful with our terminology, we don't stand much of a chance with theirs. Never be afraid to ask someone exactly what they mean, even if everyone else in the room thinks (or pretends) they know what it means. Never use terminology you don't fully understand. Use words, as many as you need.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to DFSORT/ICETOOL/ICEGENER