IEHLIST - LISTVTOC - create output dataset ?

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

IEHLIST - LISTVTOC - create output dataset ?

Postby barbarav » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm looking for a way to list the VTOC in a dataset. So that it can be compared with other datasets.
For now i'm using IEHLIST and the VTOC statement. I can see my output in the Held Output Queue, but i cannot find how to put the necesary data (the name of the data sets) in a data set.

Anyone knows how to do this ? I allready tried putting a "outdd" statement, but that doesn't work.

Regards,

B
barbarav

Re: IEHLIST - LISTVTOC - create output dataset ?

Postby steve-myers » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:27 pm

To get to what you have just described, you have prepared a job with statements like this -
//A       EXEC PGM=IEHLIST
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//AVOL     DD  DISP=OLD,UNIT=SYSALLDA,VOL=SER=AVOL
//SYSIN    DD  *
 LISTVTOC VOL=SYSALLDA=AVOL

The JCL DD statement with DD name SYSPRINT specifies a data set - in this case a SYSOUT data set you are reading using SDSF. You can change the DD statement to specify a "regular" data set of your choice. The JCL reference manual for the z/OS release you are running will have more details.

The purpose of this forum is to answer relatively simple queries; people like me are not here to provide tutorials or write your code or JCL for you. In any event, no one capable of responding to your query knows details about your installation; we cannot write the DD statement for you.

Just out of curiosity, what do you propose doing with this data set? In my opinion, the VTOC listing provided by IEHLIST is rather limited; the list in a 2014 version of IEHLIST is hardly better than in 1968 when I might have asked a similar question had forums like this existed then.

In any event, the Dslist utility in ISPF will provide more usable information than IEHLIST.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby barbarav » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:24 pm

This was idd de code that I used. The purpose was to create an actual list, with the content of the VTOC to run against an other list, with the content of the catalog. To see if there are any inconsistencies.
Point here is, everything should be able to run in batch. So just checking DSlist utility, wont make the deal here.

Anyways, apparently my mistake was that the output on the spool has a lrecl of 133, not 80. Which was why JCL was not able to put my output in a data set.
barbarav

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:15 pm

What's all this with "inconsistencies" and datasets? That's the second post mentioning this. If you feel that there is something that you can spot that something which already exists and is already used at your site can't, then good luck to you. Just seems massively unlikely.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:26 pm

barbarav wrote:... Anyways, apparently my mistake was that the output on the spool has a lrecl of 133, not 80. Which was why JCL was not able to put my output in a data set.
The DCB attributes of the data set specified by the SYSPRINT DD statement for IEHLIST are RECFM=FA, LRECL=121, BLKSIZE=121 or RECFM=FBA, LRECL=121, BLKSIZE=nnn, where nnn is some multiple of 121. This is discussed in the IEHLIST chapter of the DFSMSdfp Utilities manual for your z/OS release. These DCB attributes for the SYSPRINT data set are common for most of the IBM utilities, but it is always a good idea to check yourself before you start to prepare JCL.

Finding mismatches between the catalog and the contents of volumes is a worthy goal; one that is essentially impossible to do manually. Been there, done that.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to Other IBM Tools