MIM or not MIM

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

MIM or not MIM

Postby samb01 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:07 pm

Hello,

actually, we want to remove MIM of our society because it is too expensive.

Could you tell me if you know an other solution than using MIM betwen different sysplex ?

What do you use in your society to exchange dataset in different sysplex ?

If i'm not wrong, MIM is the only product that exist to enque datasets betwenn too sysplex.
samb01

Re: MIM or not MIM

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:20 pm

If i'm not wrong, MIM is the only product that exist to enque datasets betwenn too sysplex.

did You ever hear of GRS
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:25 pm

oops ...finger check ( hit enter too early )

it is something You should talk to Your support really ...
we do not know what MIM facility You are using
so advising on how to migrate to a GRSPLEX will be difficult
depending on the MIM facilities used You might lose some of them
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby samb01 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:57 pm

is a GRSPLEX the solution ?
Is it allow to enque file betwenn two sysplex ?
samb01

Postby steve-myers » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:56 am

While I'm not a true MIM or GRS expert, I'm reasonably certain both MIM and GRS provide for multiple system data set ENQ. I haven't kept up well with GRS, but I think GRS uses SYSPLEX communication facilities. If you haven't defined this capability, then you want to think real hard about continuing to pay CA Technologies, or whatever their name is this week, their outlandish license fee for MIM. Further, MIM has a number of other capabilities. You should check if you're paying for and using these additional capabilities. If you're not using them, you should discuss this with CA and get them to remove them from the MIM license, which should save you some money. This may back fire on you. CA used to bundle a lot of stuff into a package and sell you the package at a discount. Take stuff out of the package and you'll pay full price on the rest of the stuff.

I strongly recommend you read MVS Planning: Global Resource Serialization for your z/OS release before you proceed further.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby samb01 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Hello,
we woant to remove MIM because we want to save money. But we still don't know how much money we will save. As you said, CA sale a lot of products with MIM inside, so it's difficult to kwnow.
There is an other problem with MIM. It takes lots of CPU betwen Sysplex. So actually, we creatded only three sysplex (Production, Pre-Production et Development). Now, we can use GRS inside on Sysplex. But we are still thinking how could we commuinicate betwenn sysplex. May be by exchange datasets by FTP, CFT, other solutions.....
samb01

Return to Other IBM Tools