OPC Special Resources

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

OPC Special Resources

Postby brnase » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:06 am

I'm just a stupid developer and don't have much experience in job scheduling. We use a job documentation form in OneInfo to request that our schedule team enter in the job requirements in OPC.

I've been hounding that team for questions for quite a while now, without any real good answer, so here I am.

I have an application that is ETT'd by multiple jobs that could possibly execute at the same time. This application needs to run single threaded, i.e. the whole app finishes before another instance of it is brought into the schedule and executed.

I was informed I could create a special resource to make this app wait. But, what happens when I have 2 ETT'd requests sitting in the schedule for this application at the same time, while there is already one instance of it executing? When I set the availability on the special resource, will both instances of the ETT'd requests kick-off at the same time, or will one wait for the other?

This is my problem. I hope someone can answer, or maybe come up with a better solution?

Thanks,
Brandon
brnase

Re: OPC Special Resources

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:41 am

Hello Brandon and welcome to the forum,

will one wait for the other
One should wait for the other.

The purpose of the "special resource" is to provide an enque mechanism for something that needs to be "controlled" and is not one of the system standard resources - this is a "logical" rather than a physical "thing".

Something you are probably more familiar with is what happens when 2 jobs specify disp=old for the same file. One gets the file the other waits (rather ungracefully).

A special resource allows the processes to be single-thread by the control of this resource.

If your scheduling people don't have the time or the inclination to talk at any length, you might get them to point you to the same online doc they probably use.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby brnase » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:26 am

A special resource allows the processes to be single-thread by the control of this resource.

So, like I stated before, even if there are 2 ETT'd requests waiting to execute the same application at the same exact time, a special resource, as you stated, will only allow one request to execute and the other to wait until the next "available" resource is posted?
brnase

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:40 am

Yes, one will enqueue the resource, the other will wait.

More info can be found here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td ... 481-02.pdf

Page down to internal page 19/20. This is the "getting started" manual - it may help clarify.

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to Other IBM Tools