Question with ESP User in ESP job

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

Question with ESP User in ESP job

Postby did007 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi,

I have a ESPx job which will run a shell script sample.sh using user ABC.

User ABC has .bash_profile, which have certain variables that are used in sample.sh.

Am not executing the .bash_profile inside the sample.sh. It should execute it as soon as i login into the shell with that ABC user.

If i run the job from ESPx ( with user name as ABC inside the job definition) it should run the .bash_profile of the user ABC correct? But its not happening. It is failing as it was not able to find the variables.

I need some clarification here? why the ESPx( with user name as ABC inside the job definition) user cannot run the .bash_profile?
did007

Re: Question with ESP User in ESP job

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Are you using BPXBATCH to execute your script? If so, this note from the z/OS UNIX System Services User's Guide is relevant -- note that NOTHING is said about .bash_profile:
Note: When using BPXBATCH with the SH option (SH is the default), environment variables specified in the STDENV DD are overridden by those specified in /etc/profile and .profile (which overrides /etc/profile). This is because SH causes BPXBATCH to execute a login shell that runs the /etc/profile script and runs the user's .profile.
To pass environment variables to BPXBATCH, you define a file containing the variable definitions and allocate it to the STDENV ddname. The file can be one of the following:

A z/OS UNIX file identified with the ddname STDENV
An MVS™ data set identified with the ddname STDENV

If you are running your script in some other way, you need to explain more than you have.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby did007 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:31 pm

what does that mean BPXBATCH? I use bash shell to run our scripts usually from command line
did007

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:34 am

Post the JCL you are using -- BPXBATCH is one of the "normal" ways to execute Unix System Services commands (or shell scripts) in a batch job.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to Other IBM Tools