JCL too large in TWS

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

JCL too large in TWS

Postby samb01 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Hello,

i can't modify a job in TWS et i hvae this message :

EQQX274E
AN I/O REQUEST SPECIFIES TOO LARGE RECORD SIZE
Explanation:

The request to create or modify a record resulted in the record exceeding the maximum size of the VSAM record.
System action:

The request is rejected.
User response:

Contact your system programmer.
System programmer response:

Check the record size against the VSAM file definition. For more information, refer to the Installation Guide

My jcl have 3000 records. What is the limit please ?

Thanks for your help.
samb01

Re: JCL too large in TWS

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 pm

It is not the number of records, but the length of at least one of them.

The message tells you to contact your System's Programmer. I'd do that. Site specific, so we won't know your answer.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby samb01 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 pm

I don't think so.

When i tryed whith a jcl which contain 2050 records, it works.

But with more records in the jcl, i have the error...
samb01

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue May 24, 2011 2:57 pm

EQQX274E
AN I/O REQUEST SPECIFIES TOO LARGE RECORD SIZE
Explanation:

The request to create or modify a record resulted in the record exceeding the maximum size of the VSAM record.

OK, if you know better than the message produced by the program which failed to do what you want, then fair enough.

If you want us to give you a limit to the number of records in a file based on incorrect facts, let's say "I think it works with 2050, so don't use any more than that".

Do you realise your "logic" breaks down if the 2051st record exceeds the maximum size of the VSAM record? Or the 1st, 8th, 214th etc. Basically, your logic just breaks down. One, at least, of the records in your file, through accident or design, is "exceeding the maximum size of the VSAM record". That's it. Go see your System's people.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Tue May 24, 2011 4:15 pm

samb01, the message tells you to contact your site support group. BillyBoyo told you to contact your site support group. Why are you refusing to take the obvious step and contact your site support group?
Your refusal to do so indicates you have a poor future in IT since being able to understand when to seek help is very important and you're unable to do so -- despite the error message AND people you consult for advice telling you what to do.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Blackthorn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 pm

No doubt the TS has resolved his issue now, but in case anyone else stumbles upon this post I will add some notes that may be of use.

Firstly, the TS is correct in surmising that there is a maximum number of records that can be accomodated in a TWS jobcard. The message about the length of the vsam file being exceeded is a symptom of too many records, not one that is too long. In a JCL library, all records are 80 bytes.

What happens is that TWS reads in the jobcard from the appropriate PDS and holds that data in it's own internal vsam file, known as the JS file. This vsam file has one record per jobcard. So the more lines in a jobcard, the longer the length of the vsam record.

The first 80 bvtes of the JS file consist of details to identify the TWS operation, eg; application name, operation number, etc. After that, subsequent blocks of 80 bytes represent each record from the JCL library. The vsam file is defined with a maximum record length of 180,004 which allows for a maximum record count of 2,249. So, as the TS said, a job card with 3,000 records in it will cause a failure, whereas one with 2,050 will work.

Hope that helps.
Blackthorn

Postby NicC » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Why so many lines of JCL - a job should consiste of a jobcard, maybe some routing cards, possibly JCLLIB sepcifications and and EXEC procname card. Optionally a // at the end.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Because, for good or bad reasons, not every job is converted into a proc.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby mongan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am

I would say, in short, bad design of the product TWS and bad design of the JCL.
mongan

Postby NicC » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Yes - bad design of TWS allowing so many cards in a job although I can understand somewhat in a testing environment. But the guys who wrote it were probably used to the IBM standard (where I was) of all production being procedures.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Next

Return to Other IBM Tools