Subordinate system file(s) TWS updates for scheduling of JCL

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

Subordinate system file(s) TWS updates for scheduling of JCL

Postby scott b » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:48 am

Are there base file(s) on the subordinate systems that TWS writes/updates so JCLs run as specified? I'm hoping to read these files programmatically but I can't find any mention of them.

The TWS documentation mentions Workload Automation and how to use the API. Other resources I've found discuss high level architecture and use of a Symphony file, but there is no mention of what file or files may be updated on the individual subordinate systems.

Anyone know? Thanks in advance for the help!
scott b

Re: Subordinate system file(s) TWS updates for scheduling of

Postby Blackthorn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Are these subordinate systems z/OS or something else, eg; Windows, Unix? If the latter, then the symphony file is a copy of the current plan (jobs to run, dependencies, etc) along with the "JCL", or more accurately the script if they are non-mainframe platforms. That is where the concept of fault tolerance comes from as in running the work on an FTA (Fault Tolerant Agent). Even if the link to the mainframe is lost, the jobs can continue to run on the remote platform.

If on the other hand, these subordinate systems are also z/OS lpars, then typically the JCL would be submitted from the system running the TWS controller. There is no file distributed to those systems, as far as I recall (although it's a while since I've done any TWS configuration work).

TWS does read all the JCL from the PDS job library in to it's own Vsam file prior to submission. This may be done either at the time the job is submitted (the default) or in advance, which can lead to performance gains if many thousands of jobs are involved.

These users thanked the author Blackthorn for the post:
scott b (Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 am)
Blackthorn

Postby scott b » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks for the explanation. The subordinate systems are z/OS.

If I understand correctly, it doesn't sound like any file (or schedule for that matter) is sent to or updated on the subordinate systems. The subordinate systems are simply instructed what to do at the time they need to do it. Is that correct?
scott b

Postby Blackthorn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:51 am

Yes, that's certainly the way I've always seen it working. It's possible that other configurations can be used, but I'm not aware of any.
Blackthorn

Return to Other IBM Tools