How to bypass soc1 abend in OPC ?

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

How to bypass soc1 abend in OPC ?

Postby maandi » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi All,

I have a OPC with following jobs:

DUMY 001 DUMSTART
CPU 010 JOBNAME1
CPU 020 JOBNAME2
CPU 030 JOBNAME3
DUMY 009 DUMEND

In the above OPC, my job JOBNAME1 ends in soc1, and if its so then i have to job JOBNAME2 out of the OPC and continue with JOBNAME3. Using some utility i PIFOUT the JOBNAME2 from the OPC, but it doesn't continue with the JOBNAME3...

Could anyone provide the suggestion for this, as i don't deal with this OPC sort of things before and now its new?

Thanks,
Mandy
maandi

Re: How to bypass soc1 abend in OPC ?

Postby expat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:26 pm

If you are not responsible for maintaining the schedules within TWS ( as OPC is now known as ) then I suggest that you ask those that are responsible for their input into the solution.
expat

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:14 am

Hello,

Possibly i completely misunderstand, but if your job (JOBNAME1) abends witn an s0c1, it is most likely a problem with that job (rather than the scheduler).

Someone needs to resolve what is wrong with the job.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby maandi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 am

Hi

Expat,
As you said i think i should contact corresponding TWS team for this.

Dick,
Yep i agree with you. I just wonder if there could be anything which can bypass soc1. This is abending with user error as expected but uses some terminating program which causes the soc1, which is expected. I just had a parallel thinking why i should always handle this usual abend rather than automating it.

Anyways thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,
Mandy
maandi

Postby BillyBoyo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:46 am

Are you saying there is a combination of data which is invalid, so the program handles it by calling some deliberate-abend routine which generates the S0C1?

And, when this happens, you just continue with JOBNAME2 anyway?

If this is so, then I can't see how JOBNAME2 is genuinely dependent on JOBNAME1. Is it using any data output from JOBNAME1, or is it just an input/reference file dependency?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:09 am

Hello,

If it doesn't matter if the first job abends, why not schedule the second job to run whenever job1 completes - abend or not.

Personally, i'd consider changing the first job to issue an appropriate return code rather than an abend. This way job2 cold be conditionally run but not whan there is a true abend. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to Other IBM Tools