unknown tool

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

unknown tool

Postby mehi1353 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi,

I have files like "userid.PDfxxxx.backup" on my system (z.os v1r8).

I like to know which tool has been created thid datasets?!

all the best,
Mehrdad Rastegar,
behsazan co.
Tehran.IRAN
mehi1353

Re: unknown tool

Postby NicC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Why do you think a 'tool' was used? Why not ask whoever 'userid' is. What makes you think that anyone who does not work in your company would know anything about any naming standards etc in your company. It is a bit like asking what type of trowel was used in the making of such-and-such a building.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Re: unknown tool

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:50 am

Hello,

You should also look for the process that created this first. . . Talk wth your storage management people and they may be able to tell you which job created this and what program actually created the dataset.

If the first method does not identify the "creator", suggest you dump the first few blocks of this dataset (in hex) and then dump the first few blocks of some other "backup" datasets and look for similarities.

If these are just straight data copies, it probably does not matter what created them. If they are DFDSS/adrdssu, or database backups, or anything written in some proprietary format, the content should be similar to other files created by the same process.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to Other IBM Tools