Batch utility for =3.4 ?

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

Batch utility for =3.4 ?

Postby c62ap90 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Does anyone know of a batch utility process I can run that will give me the results comparable to TSO browsing in =3.4? - Name, Prompt, Size, Created, Changed, ID, etc. Thanks.
c62ap90

Re: Batch utility for =3.4 ?

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Did you try a Print on the command line to print the ISPF (NOT TSO) 3.4 output?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby c62ap90 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:55 am

Since there are 79,000+ members that would take too long for me to "screen scrap" to add to a file.
c62ap90

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:01 am

Who mentioned anything about screen scraping? TSO/ISPF option 3.4 has a PRINT command. This command will produce a listing file containing the same data that shows up on the screen -- member name, lines, etc. When you exit TSO/ISPF, you either use a default for the listing file (print and delete, delete without printing, keep the data set and use for next session, or keep the data set and allocate a new one next session), or you specify which option to use.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:02 am

Obviously an option field is not going to be useful to you in the batch environment. Otherwise, however, I suggest that you do an IDCAMS LISTCAT on the entries of interest, and then massage that output into your desired format with the language of your choice.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:05 am

Hello,

No need to "screen scrape".

I've not used PRINT, but if you have the list of members up on the screen, type SAVE MYSTUFF in the command line and Enter.

A file with a dsn of YOURID.MYSTUFF.MEMBERS should be created and hyou can then browse/edit/print this as you choose.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:07 am

Since there are 79,000+ members that would take too long for me to "screen scrap" to add to a file.

horse manure ...

what happened when You tried the command SAVE

SAVE without any operand will save to the current ISPF list dataset

SAVE <something> will save the whole 3.4 result to a dataset named <userid>.<something>.DATASETS

if You want to keep working in IT in the MF environment it would be wise to be proficient in ISPF use
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ ... s/ISPZPM70
not the latest one
but You can find the one related to Your zOS level starting from
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/ ... index.html
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby c62ap90 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 am

Robert Sample wrote:Who mentioned anything about screen scraping? TSO/ISPF option 3.4 has a PRINT command. This command will produce a listing file containing the same data that shows up on the screen -- member name, lines, etc. When you exit TSO/ISPF, you either use a default for the listing file (print and delete, delete without printing, keep the data set and use for next session, or keep the data set and allocate a new one next session), or you specify which option to use.

Thanks but this is not the "batch utility process" in my original post I was looking for. Since I plan on running a "batch utility process" nightly I need a particular job to run. What you explained is a TSO process and not a "batch utility process". ...but thanks for the reply.
c62ap90

Postby c62ap90 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:29 am

dick scherrer wrote:Hello,

No need to "screen scrape".

I've not used PRINT, but if you have the list of members up on the screen, type SAVE MYSTUFF in the command line and Enter.

A file with a dsn of YOURID.MYSTUFF.MEMBERS should be created and hyou can then browse/edit/print this as you choose.

Thanks but not a "batch utility process".
c62ap90

Postby c62ap90 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:34 am

enrico-sorichetti wrote:

horse manure ...

what happened when You tried the command SAVE

SAVE without any operand will save to the current ISPF list dataset

SAVE <something> will save the whole 3.4 result to a dataset named <userid>.<something>.DATASETS

if You want to keep working in IT in the MF environment it would be wise to be proficient in ISPF use
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ ... s/ISPZPM70
not the latest one
but You can find the one related to Your zOS level starting from
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/ ... index.html

Horse manure right back at you...

Thanks but not a "batch utility process". Please read my original post and if you need more interpretation please let me know. Thank you.
c62ap90

Next

Return to Other IBM Tools