File Manager/IMS Extract

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

File Manager/IMS Extract

Postby gmosley » Wed May 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to do an extract via a secondary index using the "keys" option?
gmosley

Re: File Manager/IMS Extract

Postby Ed Goodman » Thu May 15, 2014 8:00 pm

This looks so much like another question in DB2, it makes me wonder what you're actually trying to do.

Where would the "keys" option go anyway?
Ed Goodman

Postby gmosley » Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 pm

A subordinate segment of a database (CLAIMS) contains a non-key field (REGI#). REGI# is the key for the secondary index.
I have a list of REGI# values that I want to use to extract the DB records from the CLAIMS database.
I know I can do it with Rexx code and IEB but that means reading the whole CLAIMS DB.
Since I can retrieve CLAIMS DB records in Browse by REGI# using the secondary index, it seems logical to assume I could extract that way.
gmosley

Postby dick scherrer » Thu May 15, 2014 11:22 pm

Hello,

You do NOT want to read the Claims data via REXX. There might be a worse choice, but I am not sure what it would be.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Fri May 16, 2014 3:10 am

Makes sense... I guess I would give a try at extracting via secondary first, then try to add a keys database.

I think what you'll get is an unload of the secondary segments, but they might have the full key on them from the root. You could take that and massage it to have just the root keys, then feed THAT file back through an extract of the primary.
Ed Goodman

Return to Other IBM Tools