Schedule any JCL program at a specific time

Ask queries about other IBM Tools like Tivoli, COBTEST, Fault Analyzer, z/OS File Manager, Workload Simulator, APA, SCLM, Merge & Migration Tools etc...

Schedule any JCL program at a specific time

Postby ramu65 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:57 pm

hi ...I am totally new to TWS and mainframe..Is it possible to schedule any jcl program at a specific time using tws in mainframe????..Can u please tell me the steps in OPC panel to accomplish this???...I am confused between long term plan,current plan and trial plan???..please resolve my problem ....Thanks in advance..
ramu65

Re: TWS job scheduling

Postby NicC » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 am

Hello and welcome. You should ask these questions of your co-workers. It will be part of your intooduction to your new job to be taught these things by them or to be sent on a course.

There is no such thing as a "JCL program". JCL is not a programming language - it is a means by which humans let the machine know what programs to run, in what sequence and what resources are needed by those programs.

OPC (TWS) can sumit jobs for many conditions - it is time to start, a predecessor job has completed, a dataset has appeared from somewhere (maybe by FTP) etc. Also, jobs that it monitors need not be submitted by itself but may have come from a remote location or some other job that that it did kick off.

What is confusing about the terms "long term", "current" and "trial"? those mean exactly what the words mean normally. But, the current plan is a subset of the long term plan for the current period. And guess what a "trial plan" is!
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby apru » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi..I want to schedule a job in tiwoli opc panel...I created the current plan...The job started at the scheduled time but the status is remaining as S even after the deadline date and time is over..what might be the reason for this???.....am I going wrong with the scheduling procedure???
apru

Postby Blackthorn » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm

The deadline date/time has nothing to do with the status of the job. If it is started, it will remain started until it completes or fails.

What is the extended status of the job?
Blackthorn

Postby apru » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:57 pm

hi....can u please tell me where I should write the code for job????...
apru

Postby apru » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:57 pm

i mean in opc panel
apru

Postby Blackthorn » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean.

Can you elaborate?
Blackthorn

Postby apru » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:45 pm

sorry ....actually i am totally new to OPC...I want to schedule a job using OPC...i have read the IBM manuals..This is what I understood after reading the manuals..To schedule a job ,first we need to define a worksation...then create application,run cycle,operation,job description and finally add occurrence in current plan...Am I right???....please correct me if I am wrong....When I followed the above steps,I was able to see the jcl for job in current plan but the job is always in waiting status and the workstation status is active -(waiting for connection)(type-computer(stc/job)......please help me resolve my problem......
apru

Postby NicC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:13 pm

If you want a job scheduled then speak to your scheduling people. They will know what you need to do. IF you are a trainee scheduler person then ask your senior scheduler people - that is one of the reasons that they are there - to help train newbies.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby apru » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:06 pm

My team mates are not aware of scheduling...dats y I thought of posting my problem in this forum in the hope of getting a solution
apru

Next

Return to Other IBM Tools