SOC 7 in batch

Queries about Compuware’s Debugging Tools: Abend-AID for COBOL, PL/I, Assembler, CICS, DB2, IMS and IDMS

SOC 7 in batch

Postby divya_sharma » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:21 pm

I am a tester working in mainframe and facing SOC7 abend in one of the jobs in batch we execute in our test environment. There is no compilation listing available for the program and since i do not have access to compile the code as a tester, i am unable to get the line number as we do with the help of offset given in our sysout. I am able to locate the record with the help of abend aid but need to identify the data(field) which is incorrect in that record. can you please tell me if there is any other way out to identify error data.
divya_sharma

Re: SOC 7 in batch

Postby NicC » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:25 pm

If you are a tester and unable to compile then send the program back to the developer to fix. Your job is to find errors, his job is to analyse and fix them. (And I write this as a developer!)
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Re: SOC 7 in batch

Postby Ed Goodman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 am

as an exercise in dump handling...

If you don't have any listing at all, your going to need to do a little guesswork.

In your situation, I would look at the data causing the S0C7, then see if it appears in the input record verbatim.

If so, then that's the problem. If not, then you'll have to go to the storage offset and just look at the data around it. Sometimes, you'll see large expanses of low values, or repeated values from a table overrun, or a visibly messed up structure of some sort.
Ed Goodman

Return to Abend-AID