CA-7 issue : JOB REPEATING THE STEP

Unicenter CA-7 Job Management: CA's workload automation tool for managing, visualizing, automating, optimizing applications

CA-7 issue : JOB REPEATING THE STEP

Postby abhinavgoelsai » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 am

Hi Dick,

could you please help me to find out the cause. when my job ran via CA-7 the step got repeated by itself and abended.. i canceled the job and demanded again and the job wend fine without repeating the step.

COuld you please help.
abhinavgoelsai

Re: CA-7 issue : JOB REPEATING THE STEP

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:52 am

Hello,

Jobs do not "get repeated by themself". Most likely there were too many people trying to accomplish the setup for the run(s).

The only answers will be on your system, so someone (you and the scheduler group) need t odo the research to understand what has happened.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby abhinavgoelsai » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 am

I understand that the steps does not get repeated by themselves. Is there any way i can see the changes which was done in the job when it came to the queue. to be more specific, when the job comes to the CA-7 queue is there any way we can check what was edited(when the job was in CA-7 queue) by the user ???
abhinavgoelsai

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 am

Hello,

Not that i'm aware of. However, i'm not a ca-7 support person.

Suggest you ask your scheduling people or whoever installed/supports ca-7 if there is some log of changes like this.

Also, an issue could be opened with CA Support to learn if there is such a log.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Do you mean the JOB started over in the middle of execution or do you mean a STEP within the job was repeated?

Without seeing the submitted JCL and the job output no-one can help. We may also need to see the CA-7 setupo for that job for that run.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby abhinavgoelsai » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 pm

not job!! the step was repeated and job got abended. when i ad a look in Caview i saw same steps one after another. so wht i did canceled the job and demanded the job again.. the job went fine the the step was not repeated.. i have asked my CA support people but they were unable to find out the cause... i m suspecting someone has edited the job when it was in CA-7 queue.. the job is setup same as it is setup in my other environment..

that was the reason i was asking if you GURU's if we can find out what was edited in the job when it was sitting in CA-7 queue.
abhinavgoelsai

Postby NicC » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Look at the sysout - it will contain the submitted JCL and the procedure used, if any. Compare with the standard JCL/procedure for that job.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:09 pm

If someone edited the job while it was in the queue, it is very possible that the extra steps were (probably inadvertently) added -- the CA-7 editor commands are NOT like ISPF in any way. However, I am not aware of any way to find out who did the edit -- CA-7 doesn't log edit requests AFAIK (although that may be a feature not in use at my site?) so while you could find out who was using CA-7 at the time, you cannot find who changed your specific job.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby abhinavgoelsai » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 pm

ok guys thank you. I will see in my next run..
abhinavgoelsai

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:59 am

Hello,

i m suspecting someone has edited the job when it was in CA-7 queue..
Yup, i believe what you suspect is what happened (one way or another). And whoever did this does not realize they did this or they are keeping very quiet. . . ;)

Good luck :)

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CA-7