CA7 trigger job when file is created on z/OS

Unicenter CA-7 Job Management: CA's workload automation tool for managing, visualizing, automating, optimizing applications

CA7 trigger job when file is created on z/OS

Postby pdubie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Hello,

I searched this forum and did not find any earlier postings that were helpful to me.

When a particular dataset is created, I want CA7 to run a job.

How do I do it? I need explicit and specific instructions. Does DOTM, LDTM, SBTM effect the job to be run? What is the other parameter, QTM if DOTM is not specified? When I complete the entry of the necessary fields in CA7, I want CA7 to start watching for the file. Is there any thing else I must do to tell CA7 to start watching?

I have read the manual. Other than basic how to set this up type documentation, the manual has not been helpful.

I have followed suggestions in the other postings found in this forum, without success.

Thank you.
pdubie

Re: CA7 trigger job when file is created on z/OS

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:03 am

Start with CA-7 primary command DBM, then use option 2 (SCHEDULING), then use option 6 (DATA SET TRIGGERING CPU JOB(S)). The CA-7 Database Maintenance Guide manual gives you the details, such as the fact that a PDS cannot be used as a data set trigger.

This is a HELP forum, not a DO-YOUR-JOB-FOR-YOU forum. You are not likely to get
explicit and specific instructions
since it is expected that you are literate and smart enough to find the manual yourself, read the manual yourself, and understand the material presented in the manual. If not, you are in the wrong profession.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby pdubie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:21 am

Robert,

Thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestions and go back through everything we have done.

We did read the manual as stated in the first post. Not much meat there. The explanations are skimpy. We got the entries made and the job scheduled. CA7 simply will not launch the job.

The tag line at the top of this page says "A help & support forum for mainframe beginners and students." Where is the truth in advertising?

Thanks again.
pdubie

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 am

If you've set up the data set trigger in the screen under DB 2.6, and loaded the job so CA-7 knows about it, then you should be able to test it by using ISPF 3.2 to create the trigger data set and verify that CA-7 places the job in the queue.

I think your definition of "Beginners and Students" might be different than mine -- I would NOT classify anyone using CA-7 (which is typically used for production job scheduling) as a beginner, nor likely to be a student.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
pdubie (Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 pm)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to CA-7