Uncatalog a dataset tape with CA1

All other tools like QACenter, Strobe, Endevor, Telon, APAS, Scheduler, Auditor, DATA-XPERT, CoolGen, Intertest, AdvantageGen, COBTEST etc.

Uncatalog a dataset tape with CA1

Postby samb01 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Hello,

is it possible to spécify to CA-1 to uncatalog a tape dataset when the tape is scratch.
samb01

Re: Uncatalog a dataset tape with CA1

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:56 pm

If the tape is scratch, then nothing on it is cataloged -- so why on earth would you think you need to UNCATALOG something that doesn't exist, much less use CA1 for that?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:11 pm

I think CA1 uncatalogs datasets that are cataloged on a tape volume when it moves a tape volume to the scratch pool. It has been more than 20 years since I did anything serious with CA1, so I don't remember all the options, and this may be a CA1 option. Check the CA1 manuals, or contact CA support for assistance.

If you find a dataset is cataloged to a tape in the scratch pool, you can use DELETE dataset-name NOSCRATCH in IDCAMS to uncatalog the dataset.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby samb01 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Robert Sample wrote:If the tape is scratch, then nothing on it is cataloged -- so why on earth would you think you need to UNCATALOG something that doesn't exist, much less use CA1 for that?

Hello Robert Sample,

and thank's for youy answer.

I kwnow the tape is scrath in CA 1. But the entrie in catalog is still existing, even if the tape is scratch. I just want to erase this entri Catalog.
samb01

Postby NicC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I just want to erase this entri Catalog.

Then do what Steve Myers suggested.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 pm

In other words, what you are saying is that there is a discrepancy between the system catalog and the CA-1 database. This is a very different problem from what you originally stated, and if you read up in the CA-1 documentation you can find out how to resolve it yourself. If you don't have the CA-1 documentation, and your site is licensed for CA-1, you can get the documentation yourself from the CA support web site.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby mongan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:44 pm

You might have a very serious flaw in your parameters or processing. A tape should not go scratch if it has a live dataset or dataset that is still cataloged on it. All of your sirens and alarm bells should be ringing and you need to examine exactly how this happened. You should also bring this to the attention of your co workers.
mongan

Postby steve-myers » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:21 pm

mongan wrote:... A tape should not go scratch if it has a live dataset or dataset that is still cataloged on it. ...
A tape can go scratch if its expiration date has been reached, unless one or more datasets are flagged as "catalog" expiration, which means the tape can be "scratched" if the dataset is uncataloged. "Catalog" expiration is intended for GDG datasets, but it works the same for non-GDG datasets.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to All Other Tools