TWS options

All other tools like QACenter, Strobe, Endevor, Telon, APAS, Scheduler, Auditor, DATA-XPERT, CoolGen, Intertest, AdvantageGen, COBTEST etc.

TWS options

Postby apru » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi..
I want to know the various options available in tivoli workload scheduler through which notifications can be sent to the user when a job scheduled using TWS ends in error.I came across products like netview ,TEP etc through which notifications can be sent over email when a job ends abnormally.But I am interested to know the various other options available within TWS as well as other integrated products through which notifications are created apart from the email feature.
apru

Re: TWS options

Postby NicC » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:38 am

What have you found out so far from reading the manuals? Note that we are not going to read the manuals for you!
You say 'other options available within TWS' as though netview and TEP are part of TWS. I do not know what TEP is but I do know that Netview is not part of TWS. And what do you mean by 'other integrated products'? Integrated into what?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby apru » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 pm

hi

Sorry for not being clear.
Actually I want to notify the user whenever a job scheduled using TWS ends in error.I think there is no built-in feature in TWS for achieving this.Also I dont want to send mail when job ends in error.Please suggest me some options.
apru

Postby NicC » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm

There is a feature - if the job fails have TWS submit another job that will create ans send the email
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Blackthorn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:44 pm

You want to notify a user when a job ends in error, but you don't want to send them an e-mail? How are you proposing to notify them?

Is this quite selective, i.e.; only certain jobs with specific errors?

Essentially there are three options, you will have to decide which best fits your requirements -

1) Use Automatic Recovery statements to add an additional job to the current plan when the job in question fails. This job can do whatever you want.
2) Trap the EQQE036I message issued whenever a TWS job fails. Trigger a job to do whatever you want.
3) Use a 3rd party product which interfaces in to TWS such as TWSemon from APS Enterprise. With this I think you'd be limited to sending an e-mail though as far as the users go (other alerts will be issued to users of TWSemon, i.e.; the Operators).

These users thanked the author Blackthorn for the post:
apru (Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:54 pm)
Blackthorn

Postby apru » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks Blackhorn.

1.Instead of sending mail ,I wanted to know if there is some other option to notify the user like
Displaying a pop up box /alert message on the screen with the error message and error details

2.How can we trap EQQOE036I messages and trigger job??
apru

Postby Blackthorn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:39 pm

1) When you talk about "user" do you mean a business user or the Ops? Suerely the Ops are already alerted unless this is a new install of TWS? And if you mean business user, how are you going to relate them to a particular job? The only option I can think of would be a TSO message, assuming they even use TSO.

2) Speak to your Sysprog's. Use whatever System Automation package you have.
Blackthorn

Postby apru » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm

okk..how can a TSO message be issued on error??
apru

Postby apru » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Can you please tell me how job logs can be collected with output collector?I read about output collector but was not able to understand the exact functionality and what information we get using output collector.
apru

Postby Blackthorn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 pm

apru wrote:okk..how can a TSO message be issued on error??

You're either going to have to run an extra job or use your system automation after trapping the EQQE036I message. Use the TSO SEND command. It's in the manual.

I think it would be useful if you expanded a bit on exactly what you're trying to achieve. TWS runs in thousands of data centres around the world and the solution you're trying to implemented seems horribly convoluted. It also doesn't help when you don't answer half the questions that I have put to you.

apru wrote:Can you please tell me how job logs can be collected with output collector?I read about output collector but was not able to understand the exact functionality and what information we get using output collector.

I'm not familiar with the output collector. Is this a TWS feature? Do you mean the Job Completion Checker and/or Data Store?
Blackthorn

Next

Return to All Other Tools