What is Mainframe Testing

Discuss about QA in Mainframe, Back-End Test, Offline code testing and Testing Tools

What is Mainframe Testing

Postby kevin1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 am

Hi,

I worked as Application developer using (COBOL, JCL, DB2). Now, i need to learn mainframe testing too... Please can anyone help with this. I mean where do i get information or material or concepts related to Mainframe Testing...

Thanks in advance!! :)
kevin1

Re: What is Mainframe Testing

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:44 am

Hello,

Suggest you talk with people involved with "mainframe testing" in your organization.

The specifics vary from one organization to another.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby kevin1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:14 am

Thank You, Mr. Shrrer.
kevin1

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 am

You're welcome :)

If you hear about something involved with testing within your organization that is not clear, post a reply here about your doubt and possibly someone will be able to clarify.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Testing doesn't tend to be platform-specific, generally. There's white box testing, black box testing, execution path testing, etc, etc. The tools used on the mainframe are specific to the platform, but the methodology is common to all platforms.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby kevin1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Thank you for the information, Robert.
kevin1

Postby rajprasa » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:33 pm

hello all :)

I am from Oracle testing background and new to mainframe testing. how do i get start ? Should i learn COBOL, JCL, DB2 ?

Some guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Raj
rajprasa

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:36 am

Hello,

Please re-read the earlier reply from Robert.

Then, i'd recommend talking with the others in the mainframe testing group and learn which technologies would be most beneficial to getting started.

What do you anticipate being different?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby heronfisher » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:01 pm

kevin1 wrote:Hi,

I worked as Application developer using (COBOL, JCL, DB2). Now, i need to learn mainframe testing too... Please can anyone help with this. I mean where do i get information or material or concepts related to Mainframe Testing...

Thanks in advance!! :)

It depends on what you are doing. testing of mainframe programs are fairly straightforward. You are not dealing with "Windows" and object oriented programming. Nor are you dealing with heavy-weight relational databases. Mainframes are designed to handle many simultaneous entries at a very fast rate. I worked in an environment that handles up to 5 million entries at a time with a response time in seconds.If you are looking at COBOL (bless you) it depends on the environment, i.e. banking, government, and some telecom providers. TPF is used in airlines, credit card companies, and transportation in general.
Batch testing is usually JCL and written to handle "jobs" within code itself.

Mainframe testing is similar to client-service applications testing, but one has to know how to operate basic TSO and ISPF commands and menus. You also need to know how to view mainframe files, how to look at and use SDSF or other output tool, log on CICS and transactions, use FTP or another transfer protocol, submit the batch job - it's for QA testing of mainframe applications.

QA testing for another platform, like WEB and/or client-service, since the mainframe is usually back-end.

Most of the time, Mainframe applications are at the heart of the IT environments. They are critical assets that need constant monitoring and regular updating. Traditionally, mainframe applications require a lot of time for manual testing. This includes preparation time for test designs and scenarios, actual software testing, and re-testing to ensure accurate results. It is usually claimed that as most applications require enhancements, code fixes and maintenance on a regular basis - this makes the automation of regression testing a necessity on Mainframes and this is a current trend of market.
heronfisher

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Hello,

Batch testing is usually JCL and written to handle "jobs" within code itself.
I really have no idea what this means :?

Clarification would surely be beneficial. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Next

Return to Application Testing