Job was down with soc7 and from sar

Get solution for your ABEND Codes & System Error Messages, SQL Codes, File Status etc...

Job was down with soc7 and from sar

Postby rahul2825 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:05 pm

hi,
one job was down with soc7 and from sar i can get only offset and address and we dont have compile listing and others told that they will visually examine data file for bad data which i dont think is feasible in case of large files and we have file aid and we dont have any version control tool .
so could anyone suggest whta shuld be the approach.

thanks
rahul2825

Re: soc7

Postby swd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:31 pm

If you're looking for an easy option to fix this problem then there isn't one. To find the offending line of code then you'll need the compile listing. Is there a problem with getting the code compiled?

Can you edit the code to put some display statements in (this assumes you can get the code compiled). Do you have a tool such as ABENDAID that could help with finding the cause.

Does your program checkpoint, if so can you figure out the restart point and so narrow down your search of the data that is in error?

There are many things that could be done, but not knowing your installation (and its procedures) it is difficult to advise.
swd

Re: soc7

Postby rahul2825 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:25 pm

swd wrote:If you're looking for an easy option to fix this problem then there isn't one. To find the offending line of code then you'll need the compile listing. Is there a problem with getting the code compiled?

Can you edit the code to put some display statements in (this assumes you can get the code compiled). Do you have a tool such as ABENDAID that could help with finding the cause.

Does your program checkpoint, if so can you figure out the restart point and so narrow down your search of the data that is in error?

There are many things that could be done, but not knowing your installation (and its procedures) it is difficult to advise.

hi,
i cant edit the code to put some display statements as i dont have authority to that pds.
yes i do have abend aid tool but i have never used it and iam not familiar with it.
i got this message CEE3207S THE SYSTEM DETECTED A DATA EXCEPTION (SYSTEM COMPLETION CODE=0C7).
FROM COMPILE UNIT MP1095 AT ENTRY POINT AT COMPILE UNIT MP1095 AT COMPILE UNIT OFFSET +00001714 AT ENTRY OFFSET +00001714
AT ADDRESS 00008DA4.
can we use file aid to look for bad data?.
rahul2825

Re: Job was down with soc7 and from sar

Postby expat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:13 pm

can we use file aid to look for bad data?.

How will you know (a) What to look for, (b) Where to look for it.

My guess is that without access to the code all you can do is run the program through with half of the data, and then keep removing records until you find out which record(s) cause the problem

But there again, without the code, how will you know which field is given problems.
expat

Re: Job was down with soc7 and from sar

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:10 am

Hello,

i cant edit the code to put some display statements as i dont have authority to that pds
Suggest you get your manager to arrange a copy of the production source be placed in a pds you do have access to. Compile that code and use the compiled output to identify the instruction that is failing.

With the compile listing and the dump, you should be able to see the "bad data". If abend-aid is in use on the system, it should already have shown the value causing the 0c7 and the compile listing would provide the instruction. . .

If there are still problems identifying, modify the copy of the source and insert some diagnostic displays to help isloate the record(s) in error.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to ABENDS & SQL Codes