One Parmlib/Proclib to rule them all

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

One Parmlib/Proclib to rule them all

Postby bkw88 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Hey Guys,

Wanted to reach out in regards to a question concerning your sysplex configurations concerning Parmlib/proclib. As of right now, our shop currently uses one parmlib/proclib to run the entire prod,dev and test lpars with heavy use of symbolics. Recently we've had a change in leadership and the new person would like to separate the lpar specific proclib/parmlib members into their own separate libraries. Based on your own personal experience which one do you guys recommend?

Me personally I believe that with Symbolics there should be no issues with keeping everything in one location. However I still have a lot to learn.
bkw88

Re: One Parmlib/Proclib to rule them all

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 pm

What we think is irrelevant , it is the decision maker opinion that counts

what bothers me in Your setup is the sentence with heavy use of symbolics

I prefer common libraries,
but what is the boundary between a reasonable use of symbolics and a heavy one :mrgreen:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby bkw88 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Just to clarify it's not a matter of opinion to challenge. I'm just curious to know as im sure you guys have probably dealt with both setups. As for the heavy use comment, 90% of our naming conventions are symbolic now.
bkw88

Postby willy jensen » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:59 pm

The last company I worked for has one parmlib / proclib set per sysplex. One parmlib / proclib set for all seems to me to be very risky.
willy jensen

Return to Operating Systems