Specifying Backup RACF Database without ICHRDSNT

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

Specifying Backup RACF Database without ICHRDSNT

Postby bkw88 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Hey Guys,

Been awhile since i've posted on here but i've learned quite a lot from this board!

Issue:

I'm in the process of configuring 2.3 and i've run into a problem with specifying a Backup RACF Database WITHOUT using ICHRDSNT.
For some reason when ipling without ICHRDSNT the system is not reading my IRRPRM01

1) 1st attempt was SYSRACF dd statement in MSTJCL parm however this only allows a Primary RACF Database.(Later Confirmed)

2) 2nd Attempt was allocating IRRPRM01 to specify a primary and secondary Database. The syntax was the following:

DATABASE_OPTIONS
SYSPLEX(NOCOMMUNICATIONS)
DATASETNAMETABLE
ENTRY
PRIMARYDSN(SYS1.RACX)
BACKUPDSN(SYS1.RACX.BACKUP)
UPDATEBACKUP(NOSTATS)
BUFFERS(255)

RANGETABLE
START('00' HEX)
ENTRYNUMBER(1)

However after loading i'm prompted with the following:

ICH502A SPECIFY NAME FOR PRIMARY RACF DATA SET
* SEQUENCE 001 OR 'NONE'

Insured it's apart of my concatenation
Loading from the right RES volume
SYNTAX checked the RACF Proc

//RACF PROC
//RACF EXEC PGM=IRRSSM00,REGION=0M,PARM='RACF=01'
//RACFPARM DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.PARMLIB

Is there any reason why the system will only recognize the primary AND backup if I use ICHRDSNT? Is there a way around this using strictly parm/proc members?
bkw88

Re: Specifying Backup RACF Database without ICHRDSNT

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:56 pm

I would expect this to be applicable (from the RACF System Programmer's Guide):
If errors are detected at the time of IPL, no data from any parmlib member is used.
In addition the load modules, ICHRDSNT and ICHRRNG, are not used. The operator is then prompted to specify the name of a single primary and backup
data set, or NONE if no primary and backup is to be used. The parmlib members specified at IPL time are documented in the system log along with the data set
name where it is found.
Although I don't see any obvious errors.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby bkw88 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 am

Robert Sample wrote:I would expect this to be applicable (from the RACF System Programmer's Guide):
If errors are detected at the time of IPL, no data from any parmlib member is used.
In addition the load modules, ICHRDSNT and ICHRRNG, are not used. The operator is then prompted to specify the name of a single primary and backup
data set, or NONE if no primary and backup is to be used. The parmlib members specified at IPL time are documented in the system log along with the data set
name where it is found.
Although I don't see any obvious errors.

**NOT CONFIRMED AS OF YET**
Opened a PMR with IBM and they state RACF=xx parm should be added to IEASYSxx although the manuals do not mention this. Will test this out tomorrow morning. Will give update on results.
bkw88

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:45 am

I'm looking forward to what you find. We're still on 2.1, going to 2.2 this year, but 2.3 is on the horizon for us. And I looked carefully and the manuals did not mention anything about IEASYSxx -- I expected it to be there and was surprised it wasn't mentioned in the Initialization and Tuning Reference manual!
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby bkw88 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Robert Sample wrote:I'm looking forward to what you find. We're still on 2.1, going to 2.2 this year, but 2.3 is on the horizon for us. And I looked carefully and the manuals did not mention anything about IEASYSxx -- I expected it to be there and was surprised it wasn't mentioned in the Initialization and Tuning Reference manual!

**IT WORKS!**

IBM was correct and his response as to why no documentation is provided was the following:

The APAR (OA52650) that introduced this function came out after the
z/OS V2R3 manuals were produced
. Please look at
Table 5. Overview of IEASYSxx parameters, on page 23 of the PDF I
provided in my previous update.

~
bkw88

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Good to hear! Thanks for the update.
Robert Sample
Global moderator