Binaries for Ghostscript running under z/OS

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

Binaries for Ghostscript running under z/OS

Postby olivermf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody has some experience with running Ghostscript within z/OS.

We want to print PDF-Files in the future and our Print Management Software is only able to print other formats. So I came up with the idea to convert our PDF using Ghostscript via a Java Batch-Job (JNI).

Unfortunately I did not find precompiled classes to use and do not have experience in building C-Applications in OMVS.

Has somebody any useful hints for me? The Linux-Classes did not work.

Thank you all in advance,

Regards,

Oliver
olivermf

Re: Binaries for Ghostscript running under z/OS

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Since z/OS runs natively under EBCDIC, and Unix / PC platforms run natively under ASCII, there can be hidden dependencies any time you're attempting to compile the source. And the source would have to be compiled to get an EBCDIC version. I've never used Ghostscript so I have no idea how tough the conversion to run under z/OS would be.

IBM's Infoprint Server, however, already supports PDF files via an optional print transform product. If your site is using Infoprint Server, your best bet -- by far -- would be to investigate the print transform product option.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby olivermf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Hello Robert,

thank you for your fast reply.

Unfortunately we do not use IBM's Infoprint Server. Our printing solution is definetly not able to print PDF. We want to print PDF using this system and so our only way is to convert PDF to Postscript at the moment.

If somebody has experiences I would be glad to hear something about it.

Regards,

Oliver
olivermf

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:15 pm

if You had googled (*) You would have arrived here
http://www.lbdsoftware.com/
http://www.lbdsoftware.com/TXT2PDF-User-Guide.pdf
(*) txt2pdf for example
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby olivermf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Hello Enrico,

I do not want to convert text to pdf. I want to print PDF with a software, that is only able to print postscript.
So: I want to convert PDF to Postscript. I already know that this is possible with unix-based operating systems, but I need a compiled version of Ghostscript for z/OS. I just wanted to know, if somebody has experiences with this topic.

Regards,

Oliver
olivermf

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 pm

:oops:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to Operating Systems