ACF2 implementation of RACF "general" resources

All about SAF, RACF, encryption, Firewall, Risk assessment and integrity concepts

ACF2 implementation of RACF "general" resources

Postby steve-myers » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Back in 1983 (I think it was) I was the technical lead in an ACF2 installation. My employer shipped me off to Houston (if I remember correctly) for training. Not Chicago in February, thanks be to Allah!

At the end of the course was a short discussion of ACF2's implementation of general resources. This went completely over my head as I knew little about RACF.

In the 2000 decade I did ISV support for a product that interfaced with security systems. Along the way was how to do general resource profiles related to the product in ACF2. By then I had an understanding - not a real complete understanding - of general resources in RACF and I finally realized why my 1983 training as so confused: ACF2 completely mucked it up in 1983, and 20 and 30 years later it's still mucked up!

I grant CA (or whatever they call themselves today), when it acquired ACF2 was not about to make major changes to what is otherwise a fine product, and they probably fired the people that could do this. Still I have to think, after all these years, that the ACF2 user base, has not persuaded CA to get general resources to work better. Me, I think I'd walk away and tell CA I'm walking because its implementation of general resources is so fouled up!
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to Mainframe Security