Parmlib refresh

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

Parmlib refresh

Postby jaggz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:45 am

Hi,

Is there a way to refresh the parmlibs(CPAC.** or SYS1.**) after cutomization without the need of performing IPL. Just wanted to make sure the our customization is in effective with all the changes made.
jaggz

Re: Parmlib refresh

Postby mongan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:39 pm

You can refresh certain members, but you can not refresh the parmlib. What changes are you talking about, which members?
Additionaly, I do not like the sound of this. You are changing things in the Parmlib without very much knowledge about the whole setup - very dangerous. If you make errors you will not be able to IPL your machine. Do you have alternate ways to correct errors in the parmlib when the machine can not IPL? Do you have alternate Parmlib members in case your member does not work?
Additionaly again, you should have a library where your members are stored. CPAC.PARMLIB is delivered by IBM. I do not touch it. If I want to make changes I do that in a Parmlib that is before the CPAC Parmlib in the IPL chain.
mongan

Postby jaggz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Mongan,

We are just making some changes in SYS1.VTAMLST. To be precise We have defined a new ATCSTROO member(Not changing the existing one), the codes are provided by IBM. Could you please let me know if there is way to vary this member like how we do for TCPIP profiles using OBEY command. We are doing this changes in the SANDBOX environment so just wanted to know the way to Referesh. We too ensure that we take a back up of parmlibs before doing any changes.
jaggz

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 pm

all of this is pretty basic and most of us did it without asking anybody...

why not read Yourself the communication server manuals about
ATCSTRxx and ATCCONxx

one of them contains the VTAM startup parameters ( some of them are modifiable thru VTAM commands)
to have vtam pick up the changes vtam must be stopped and restarted, with obvious implications on active applications and connections

the other one the list of nodes to activated at vtam startup , to enable a new node simply store its definition in the <vtamlst> and activate it

the manual will tell all You might want to know,
for further insight search for the IBM redbooks in the ABC of system programming series
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to System programming