MLPA dynamically

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

MLPA dynamically

Postby jaggz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 am

Hi,

I have assembled a Assembler source code to load module. Now I have to SVC it into authorized library for which I have to use a unused type(3) or type(4) SVC number. Could anyone please direct me to URL which can explain more about assigning a unused SVC number and MLPA a SVC dynamically.

Jaggz
jaggz

Re: MLPA dynamically

Postby steve-myers » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:16 pm

I don't think there is such a thing as a dynamic MPLA. What you have to do is write a little authorized program to load your SVC into CSA and then update the SVC table. I think this idea would work, but I've never actually done it. You'll have to go to the manuals to extract the details. Of course, you'll also have to do the appropriate changes so it will come in with the next IPL. The directed load should be in "MVS Authorized Assembler Services Reference LLA-SDU," updating the SVC table on the fly should be in "MVS Authorized Assembler Services Guide." And that's enough for nuthin'.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm

such question for the inherent complexity of the issue and the dreadful consequences for misuse of the answers
should IMNSHO never be asked on a forum

it is strange the somebody who claims competence in SVC writing does not have the slightest idea of how to setup/define an SVC
the process for setting up an SVC is explained clearly in the manuals which should have been read before starting the coding

if the SVC is part of a third party product, then the product docs should tell how to <install>

but googling with zos dynamic load of an svc
would have returned a link to an item named Managing Dynamic LPA Content
first hit on my list ( Your mileage might vary )

if Your system is reasonably audited, it would be wiser to discuss the issue with the powers of Your organization
for the <allowed> methods
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:42 pm

This is another of those questions which can only be properly answered by someone working AT YOUR SITE. SVC assignments vary by site and depend upon which software products are installed at that particular site. The procedures and processes in place at your site are what need to be followed. And since there are potentially very serious ramifications to getting some of this wrong, you need to be working -- VERY CLOSELY -- with your site support group whenever you're writing or working on SVC code.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:56 pm

I agree with Mr. Sample and Enrico. Based on previous posts by this jaggz character I have serious doubts about his competence, so I did not insert actual manual links, just manual titles, and otherwise kept it very vague. jaggz can find the manuals himself; this is something anyone who wants to become competent in this trade had better learn to do on their own rather than beg for help in places like this. Finding references on how to do something is very difficult for a beginner, and sometimes for very experienced people. I recall sometime in the last 10 years putting out on one of the news groups a wish for something I sort of wanted to do, though not something I had to do, and a wise person told me where to look for documentation about something I did not even know was possible. I added the capability to one program and it worked!

On the other hand, jaggz has tried to be helpful in other posts, so I did not want to be completely negative.

Deducing an unused user SVC in the SVC table is not difficult, but it is something jaggz should figure out himself. I won't tell him how to do it, especially since it has been many years since I looked at the SVC table, so I'd have to reinvent what I did then. I know I did it, but I don't remember exactly how I did it.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to System programming