MIPS utilisation

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

MIPS utilisation

Postby jaggz » Wed May 16, 2012 10:01 am

Dear All,

Is it possible to measure MIPS utilization for one address space or one application alone ?

Jaggz
jaggz

Re: MIPS utilisation

Postby steve-myers » Wed May 16, 2012 10:20 am

One word: NO.

IBM has never supported the idea of MIPs, mainly - my personal opinion - because the performance of IBM mainframes, when measured in MIPs, is quite disappointing. MIPs applies more to RISC type computing platforms rather than CISC computing platforms. You do not hear Intel or AMD talking about MIPs for their x86 chips (or AMDs clones of Intel's x86 chips) either, and for the same reason.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed May 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Hello,

MIPS on a computer is a rating. I'm not sure just how one might measure the utilization for a rating. . .

Depending on exactly what you are looking for, there are probably tools that will provide this. If you provide a clear explanation of what you really want to track/measure, someone will probably have a suggestion.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby jaggz » Thu May 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Dear All,

To be precise our server memory is at 6.8GB and the MSU is capped at 13MSU. We have a UNIX DB running on JVM for which I want to capture the CPU taken for that UNIX DB alone.
jaggz

Return to System programming