Enterprise Computing

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Enterprise Computing

Postby chanps94 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:13 am

Hi,

I am a college student and taking a mainframe course. I have an assignment which is to seek an experienced mainframe professional and conduct an interview with him. The topic is "Enterprise Computing" which is about the principals or the guiding strategies the experienced mainframe professional use in his job and he believe is worthy of being passed on the people who are new to this type of computing. I don't know any expert wroking in the mainframe field. But, after I saw this forum, I know I find the person.
I hope you can help me out with this assignment. Would you please let me know what are the principles or the guiding strategies that you use in your mainframe job?

Thanks in advance for the time and help.

Sincerely yours,
Teresa
chanps94

Re: Enterprise Computing

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:19 am

Hello Teresa and welcome to the forums,

If you post your interview questions here, we will answer as well as we can :)
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby chanps94 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:42 am

Hi,

This assignment is from my online course. I don't know anyone working in the mainframe field. Your help is greatly appreciated.

The interview question is as follows:

Your assignment is to seek out at least one of the more experienced members of the System z and z/OS community in your enterprise and interview this person.

Talk with the person you have chosen to understand the principals, rules of thumb, or other guiding strategies these experienced people use in their jobs and that they believe are worthy of being passed on to people who are new to this type of computing. What are the things that distinguish “Mainframe Computing” from other types of computing? These are not things you will find in product manuals, but instead these are the things that learned the “hard way” and may provide an enterprise with a competitive edge or differentiate “Large Systems Thinking” from other computing.

Thanks,
Teresa
chanps94

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:11 am

Hi Teresa,

Sorry to be so long to reply.

If you will post some more detailed questions (is there an online mentor for your class who might have some guidance?), we may be able to help.

I don't believe we can interact the same here as an in-person interview. Too many words would be needed which are easy in conversation, but quite difficult via typed messages. In a conversation, topics can be quite dynamic. Once the typing starts, it is difficult to know when something becomes unclear and a new question is needed for clarification.

Where are you located? Someone here may be able to recommend an organization in your area that would talk with you.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics