zIIP - SMF MSU Report

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

zIIP - SMF MSU Report

Postby Zuiken » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi all,

the company where I work just finish is DCC (Data Center Consolidation).

But there is a money charge by zIIPs consume.

This is the first time in my life that some one is charging mips for using the zIIP.

So i need to know if anyone know how i can get a smf report with the MSU that our zIIP processor consume peer day.

We know how to do this with GCP but with zIIP i dont.

Hope that someone can help me here.

best regards
Zuiken

Re: zIIP - SMF MSU Report

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 pm

You use the same SMF record type 70 data that you use for CP usage; the difference is that once you get the CPU seconds by subtracting SMF70WAT (wait time) from SMF70INT (the duration) you then have to normalize the time by multiplying by SMF70NRM and dividing by 256. If you don't normalize the time, unless you are running on a full-speed machine then the zIIP CPU time will be overstated compared to the CP time since zIIP runs at full speed no matter what the CPU runs at.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Zuiken » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi Robert,

thanks for your quick answer I will try this and I will let you know how it works.

Best regards
Zuiken

Postby Zuiken » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi Robert,

I use IBM Spreadsheet report do you know any way to generate this on this product ¿?, if is too much trouble its ok.

best regards
Zuiken

Postby NicC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Simply create your 'report' as a csv dataset and ftp it to your spreadsheet.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Zuiken » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi Robert,

i dont find in the RMF - User Guide the source SMF70NRM.

If I create the CPU Activity Report I got the CP Usage.

best regards
Zuiken

Postby NicC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Stop addressing your post to a specific person. Other people, who may know the answer to your post, may not reply.
You can thank a specific person at the end either by a post or by the 'thank you' button.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:20 pm

SMF70NRM and the other fields are described in the SMF manual -- whether or not they are accessible from RMF, I have no idea since we don't run RMF here. If you're limiting yourself to the tools you have familiarity with, you may not get a very good understanding of the data. I usually look at the raw SMF data first before attempting any analysis to ensure I understand the limitations of the data.

The z/OS 2.1 RMF User's Guide manual has a section on RMF Spreadsheet Reporter that describes the Workload Activity Trend Report, Excel macro RMFR9WLM, as (emphasis added by me)
This macro provides performance reports and analyzes your system's behavior. It also supports zAAP and zIIP workload analysis and workload projection.
So you need to find out what needs to be done AT YOUR SITE to enable zIIP analysis since it is already available to you. This is something that we cannot help you with since we don't work at your site and do not know how to gather the data you need. Contact your site support group.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Zuiken » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi,

I just open a PMR for this I dont know how to get it I already read all the RMF and SMF manuals I understand that the data that should be there it should be possible but is not clear (i don thave a deep understanding of RMF for zIIP info and no one that i know or already ask) how to get it in a easy way.

this should be the formula:

iipMSU = (sum(SMF70PDT) * 3600 * 16 * SMF70NRM) / (SMF70CPA * RMFint * 1000000 * 256)

but no idea hot to get in a easy wah the SMF70PDT, SMF70NRM and SMF70CPA.

this sound like we need to create a REXX and I think is too much trouble.

Note: Nicc you dont make any sense.

thanks
Zuiken

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:45 pm

this sound like we need to create a REXX and I think is too much trouble.
I think you need to give up on the idea of getting zIIP usage for your site -- it will be too much trouble.

Talk to your site support group and work with them.

Topic locked as there's nowhere for it to go -- you need to work with your site support group, not ask questions on this (or any) forum.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics