SMPT : File Link/Path on next line issue.

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

SMPT : File Link/Path on next line issue.

Postby shirazi2589 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:04 pm

Hello Everybody,

I have written a JCL to SMTP the location of the file where it is been FTP'ed but the location is too big to fit in a single line and hence i am forced to write the remaining path location on the next line. Hence when i receive the mail, part of the path which comes on the next line doesn't receive as a part of the path in the received mail.
the image would describe the scene better...

Sorry could not upload the image and hence attached as an desktop.zip file..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shirazi2589

Re: SMPT : File Link/Path on next line issue.

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu May 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Can you, instead, copy/paste it from your emulator and put it in the Code tags, please?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Put your SMTP code in a file with an LRECL longer than 80 -- 998 is the maximum allowed by the RFC -- and then you won't have to split the line. Your problem should go away then.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby shirazi2589 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:57 pm

thanks Robert,
yes i thought of that but the issue is we are using this as a member of a PDS i.e where all our default parmlibs are stored. and as far as i know we cannot increase the LRECL of a member above 80.

So is there any other solution.
shirazi2589

Postby Robert Sample » Thu May 17, 2012 4:40 pm

The mainframe solution would be to get an exception to your site rules and place the email text into a file with a longer LRECL.

If this is not feasible -- for whatever reason -- then your only other choice is to look at the mail client software that is receiving the email to determine if there is a way for it to handle line breaks in a URL. If there is not, then you have three choices: (1) get your mainframe policy changed to allow a longer LRECL, (2) figure out how to send shorter URLs, or (3) understand that what you want to do will not be possible. Your problem is NOT a technical issue -- technology has a solution, namely change the LRECL -- but a management issue.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Thu May 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Hello,

One alternative might be to allocate a new pds for "things" that are longer than 80. Possibly of lrecl 998 so only one "longer" lrecl would be needed.

Just remember that you wouldn't be able to concatenate members with different lrecls, so there might be some duplicaton.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics