Send 3 files thru XMITIP to Excel with 3 worksheets

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Send 3 files thru XMITIP to Excel with 3 worksheets

Postby peterh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:15 pm

I have a job that creates 3 files on host. Now I would like to send that 3 files through XMITIP. Well, I've done that, but I know only how to sent 3 Excel with one mail.

So my question is: Is it possible to send 3 files from host with XMITIP to one Excel file witch will have 3 Worksheets inside that file. My code for now, witch works is:

%XMITIP (NAME.SURRNAME@COMPANY.COM) -
NOMSG -
FILE ('ABCDEFG.AA' -
'ABCDEFG.BB' -
'ABCHDEG.CC') -
FILENAME (AA.XLS BB.XLS CC.XLS) -
HLQ XMITIP.SV -
FROM NAME.SURRNAME@COMPANY.COM -
SUBJECT 'NAME OF MAIL' -
FORMAT XLS

This code sends my 3 files ABCDEFG.AA, ABCDEFG.BB, ABCDEFG.CC from host and creates 3 Excel files AA.XLS, BB.XLS, CC.XLS
peterh

Re: Send 3 files thru XMITIP to Excel with 3 worksheets

Postby peterh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:19 pm

I put this topic in JCL map because I use XMITIP in JCL Cobol file. Why was then moved here?
peterh

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:37 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I put this topic in JCL map because I use XMITIP in JCL Cobol file.
There is no such thing as "JCL Cobol file" - you or your organization may find this meaningful, but within the IBM mainframe industry it has no meaning. You will do much better if you do not create terms to use - you need to use "standard" terminology.

I suspect someone moved it (i don't know who moved it) because it is not a JCL question. . .

Batch jobs submitted by a scheduling system, some online application, or manually all run with JCL. That does not mean any question about them is a JCL question. . .

To do what you want, specify multiple attachment files for the xmitip step.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 am

Is it possible to send 3 files from host with XMITIP to one Excel file witch will have 3 Worksheets inside that file.
It may -- remotely -- be possible to do this, but an application programmer would have to take the Excel file layout specifications document (which is not a small document) and determine exactly what to put into the mainframe file -- byte by byte -- to accomplish this task. I know that I would be reluctant to tackle such a task without a lot of time (months, not weeks) to devote to it. But then I just have 33 years of full-time programming experience so I'm still learning.

You are much, much better off just transmitting them as 3 files and combining them into an Excel workbook on the PC.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:27 am

Hello,

Something we discovered (with the newer Excel) is that if you download a tab-delimited text file and call the file whatever.xls on the Windows system, Excel will correctly open it. . . Excel gives a warning that the content does not match the file extension (.xls), but will open it successfully :)

I know that I would be reluctant to tackle such a task without a lot of time (months, not weeks) to devote to it.
Amen. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics