About mainframes server

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

About mainframes server

Postby kirankumarpokuri » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:15 pm

I have the question about mainframes server, is it possible to maintain virtual server independently ?
kirankumarpokuri

Re: About mainframes server

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:27 pm

What do you mean b y "virtual server"? A mainframe running z/OS allows hundreds of address spaces to run simultaneously, using virtual memory (and possibly virtual tape drives) to perform a wide variety of work. Or do you mean an LPAR (logical partition), which operates as an entire virtual machine and the z/architecture supports using dozens of them on one machine? Or are you referring to running z/VM, which is an operating system that allows creation of entire virtual machines (each of which can run z/OS, z/Linux, or other operating systems)?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby kirankumarpokuri » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Thank u for your reply sir

What i mean is ,All mainframes developers getting login ID's from the server and doing their projects in that specific login ID only rite and that the server might be some were else rite . Now my question is instead of getting login ID's form that type of servers is it possible to work on mainframes without getting login ID's .
Some other servers are also we have like windows 2003 server, windows 2005 server rite. These type of servers using by some software developers virtually in this same manner why can't we do with mainframes server .
kirankumarpokuri

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:37 pm

I think you have some very strange misconceptions about mainframes. You definitely do not understand IT security concepts!

However, to answer your question -- almost 100% of mainframes have an installed security package (there are a number of them on the market) and in order to do anything on the mainframe, sign on via the security package is typically required. This meets one of the fundamental security requirements, namely that everything done on the machine should be attributable to an individual. I've never heard of any mainframe not requiring a sign on to use it -- but then, I've only been working with mainframes full-time for 33 years so far.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:07 am

Hello,

Every well-managed server requires a login/password. . . This includes Linux, UNIX, and Win-based servers as well as the mainframe.

The only times i've seen LUW servers that did not require authentication at some level were "throw away" logical servers that didn't really exist in the first place.

All mainframes developers getting login ID's from the server and doing their projects in that specific login ID only rite and that the server might be some were else rite
The physical location of a server (mainframe or otherwise) should not matter to someone trying to use the server. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby kirankumarpokuri » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Thank u for your reply,

sir can u little but more about LUW please because i don't know about that.
kirankumarpokuri

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:04 pm

LUW Linux/Unix/Windows
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Hello,

sir can u little but more about LUW please because i don't know about that.
Suggest a bit more time be spent reading/understanding the content of a topic/dialog.

In the sentence immediately before LUW was used, the complete words were posted.

Something that will be critical to your success (in this or any other technical field) is making sure that what has been provided is absorbed.

On the better side, when you saw something that you did not understand, you asked about it :)

Do you have what you wanted for your original question/answer? If there is something that is still not clear, post your doubt and we will try to clarify.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics