Batch Flowchart generation using dependency table

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Batch Flowchart generation using dependency table

Postby anand7um » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:02 am

Hi

I'm working on a project to optimize the batch flow in test region for my client. The batch in test regions in not scheduled through a scheduler, but is achieved using a in-house utility, which inserts the SUBMIT statements at the end of the test JCL's to create the logic for submission of the next jobs (its much more than this, but I'm keeping it simple here).

I have got hold of the logic (job dependency table) which is present in a pds member (say $JOBFLOW), and in order to visualize the batch, first thing I want to do is to create a visual flow diagram of this batch. I'm looking for help with any softwares available (if possible for free) which could help me in converting the job dependency table into batch flow diagram. Using this batch flow diagram I then plan to trace the critical path and take my research & analysis ahead.

Structure of the Job Dependency Table:
This is a flat file input with two columns of 8 bytes each separated by a blank, PRED (read predecessor) and SUCC (read successor).
    If JOB1 has two sucessors JOB2 and JOB3, then the table will contain two rows as below
    PRED     SUCC
    ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
    JOB1     JOB2   
    JOB1     JOB3   

If JOB5 has three predecessors (JOB2, JOB3 and JOB4), then the table will contain three rows as below:
    PRED     SUCC
    ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
    JOB2     JOB5
    JOB3     JOB5
    JOB4     JOB5

I need this automated solution since I have multiple applications in scope and I would want to be able to regenerate the flow diagrams if there are any changes done the the dependency schedule to achieve quicker batch in this test environment.

Regards
Bharat
anand7um

Re: Batch Flowchart generation using dependency table

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

So, what have you done so far? Where are you stuck?

Hopefully, you are not looking for someone here to provide the solution for you. . .

If this is actually important to management, there needs to be a way to use the existing scheduling software. Why should somethng new be implemented when what might do the job is already running on the system . . :?

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby anand7um » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 am

Hi

I realize that I should have been clearer about the limited access that I have in the system, and since this is a consulting assignment for me, I am running out of time to work on getting the access to the scheduling softwares. Moreso, as I mentioned earlier, the scheduling software is not present in the TEST Mainframe, hence its not going to help me.

I have gotten 50% through with this by using the Organization Chart feature present in Visio software. I leveraged the supervisor-employee relationship to mimic the Predecessor-Successor relationship in a batch flow and results are looking great. The only constraint being that this Visio feature cannot handle multiple managers for an employee, so there are inaccuracies in the chart created where ever there are jobs which have multiple predecessors.

The problem which I have presented here is not exactly a mainframe problem, but more of a flowcharting solution, but I thought that someone would have encountered such a problem earlier, so thought of checking over here once.

Regards
Bharat
anand7um

Postby GuyC » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:37 pm

yED is pretty helpful to generate charts.
I can explain it to you, but i can not understand it for you.
GuyC

Return to All other Mainframe Topics