EHLLAPI question?

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

EHLLAPI question?

Postby RonNoSpam » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:33 am

Sorry if there's a better place to post this, but I couldn't find a forum for EHLLAPI, and this looked as a close as any other on this site.

My EHLLAPI program occasionally appears to return a partial PRESENTATION SPACE when "Copy Presentation Space (5)" function is called after sending "ENTER" to the mainframe screen. It looks like it's just not waiting for the mainframe screen to completely refresh before it tries to get the presentation space, so sometimes I get either the previous screen buffer or part of the next screen.

How can I ensure PCOM has completed processing and fully loaded the next mainframe screen?
RonNoSpam

Re: EHLLAPI question?

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:46 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

This is as close as we have, i believe :)
If you'd like to have this moved later, just post a reply and it can be relocated.

Suggest you check the PCOM documentation for a way to delay using the "screen data" until the mainframe replies (rather than while the transaction is still "in flight"). None of my current clients uses PCOM.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby RonNoSpam » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:20 pm

If the documentation helped, I wouldn't ask.

Is there no EHLLAPI forum?
RonNoSpam

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:59 am

Hello,

Is there no EHLLAPI forum?
None that i'm aware of.

We do have a section for "Simulators & Emulators", but i see no topics about EHLLAPI posted there.

What does PCOM support have to say?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby RonNoSpam » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Too bad! I've usually found the user community to be very helpful with such issues, whereas the vendor is likely to deny the problem exists even in the face of the facts.

Thanks!
RonNoSpam

Postby NicC » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:51 pm

We can only help if we have experienced the problem you describe. I did not even know what EHLLAPI was until I googled just now and I have worked in a number of places that use PCOMM. There is a lot of reading there and I do not intend to go through it as I have no way to test any solutions I could come up with. I know that this does not help you but it does, perhaps, explain why there has been no help for your problem.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Chunkydus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:38 pm

RonNoSpam wrote:Sorry if there's a better place to post this, but I couldn't find a forum for EHLLAPI, and this looked as a close as any other on this site.

My EHLLAPI program occasionally appears to return a partial PRESENTATION SPACE when "Copy Presentation Space (5)" function is called after sending "ENTER" to the mainframe screen. It looks like it's just not waiting for the mainframe screen to completely refresh before it tries to get the presentation space, so sometimes I get either the previous screen buffer or part of the next screen.

How can I ensure PCOM has completed processing and fully loaded the next mainframe screen?

Take a look at the EHLLAPI Wait function. From the reference site (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pcomhelp/v5r9/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.pcomm.doc/books/html/emulator_programming08.htm, a direct link to the function doesn't work. Click on "EHLLAPI Functions", then on "Wait (4)"):

"The Wait function checks the status of the host-connected presentation space. If the session is waiting for a host response (indicated by XCLOCK (X []) or XSYSTEM), the Wait function causes EHLLAPI to wait up to 1 minute to see if the condition clears."

Basically, this function will wait until the system is ready for input. So, I'd write a loop that runs until the Wait function returns 0 (The system is ready for input).
Chunkydus

Return to All other Mainframe Topics