Issue regarding Tape online.

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Issue regarding Tape online.

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 am

Hi folks,
As a regular practice we go for a daily backup in our machine. Today unfortunately when i go for backup where we do vary online the tape device. When i gave the usual commands i found a error saying "
IEE386I PATH(0680,0A) NOT BROUGHT ONLINE 762
IEE763I NAME= IECVIOPM CODE= 0000000400000000
IOS552I PATH NOT PHYSICALLY AVAILABLE

what could be the reason. Apologies if m wrong. I'm not sure where to initiate this topic. So i just started this here. Please move this if this is not the right end to start.

Thanks
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: Issue regarding Tape online.

Postby steve-myers » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 am

This is a difficult message to analyze here; your operations management has to deal with this message. There isn't very much, if anything, you can do. What it is saying that an I/O path, as shown in the message, used to access the tape drive is broken in some way. Some tape drives can be accessed using a second path, but that does not appear to be the case here. This link points to the official description of the message, and it isn't very helpful. The code in the IEE763I message appears to be for IBM use only. The detailed description of the IEE763I message, which is in the same manual, isn't very helpful too.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:14 am

Hi steve,
Thanks a lot for addressing the post!! i followed your link and yes, it was not too informative to resolve this. Thanks a lot for your time. Any other clue to resolve this. Will IBM be a rite choice to go with? i mean to say inviting IBM engineers. thanks once again.
Viswanathchandru

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 am

usually when something happens to the <device> <connections> paths,channels
the console logs might contain hints on what has happened, so a bit of back in time research might be useful!
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby mongan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 pm

And what kind of an environment do you have? An LPAR? VM? Was there an IPL? A new IODF?
mongan

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi mongan, Thanks a lot for addressing the post and for your time.

Its a stand alone LPAR. Yes i have gone through the manual and it agains says the same. But we have not gone for an IPL or IODF definition change. Cannot suspect what was the issue.

@Enrico: thanks a lot for your valuable time.
Yes, i'm doing the same as you have suggested.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Return to All other Mainframe Topics