Clarification on SMTP configuration.

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Clarification on SMTP configuration.

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Dear all,
Good Evening! Just now in my shop i have configured SMTP for z/ OS and it works fine. But, when i submit a JCL for sending mail from my TSO userid i'm not receiving anything. But the same JCL sends me a mail when submitted through IBMUSER. Is there anything that needs to be tuned. Hope i'm clear. Please let me know if i need to give more information. Apologies if i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: Clarification on SMTP configuration.

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Are there any ICH408 messages in the console log? It could be handy to get SMTP restarted with DEBUG set in the parameter file, which provides details about each message passing through SMTP.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:36 am

Hello Robert,
Thanks a lot for addressing the post and for your time!

Yes, in the configuration file Debug is enabled, even then i'm not receiving any error or Informational messages on the logfile of the SMTP.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi,
I just went through my Log and i found couple of messages that were displayed soon after the i tried to send mail from RACF id.
$HASP186 ZEAL804 OUTGRP=1.1.1 NOT SELECTED BY STC06605/SMTP.SMTP DUE 360
TO SECURITY POLICY
. I tried with the $HASP message in the manual and it says to give some alter access. I'm not sure which alter access should be given. Apologies if i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:00 pm

Without an ICH408I message (which provides the details on what failed the security check by RACF) from the console log, it's pretty much impossible to say what needs to be changed. You might check your SMTP configuration to see what the high level qualifier(s) is(are) for the temporary mail files (ADDRBLOK and NOTE files) and ensure the user id has ALTER authority to define and delete them.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics