Issue with converting TIF to PSEG on Mainframes

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Issue with converting TIF to PSEG on Mainframes

Postby ravinfy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 pm

(I`m not sure if this post totally belongs to IBM Cobol, but please help me move it to a relevant forum it is is not!)

Our Mainframe is running a program named POD0100 which is taking in TIF (image) files and converting them to PSEG format.
With a recent change in the format of the Input, the program started failing and we have been having a hard time understanding which exact TIF parameter/format to use so the PSEG conversion works well.

Problem is, there is no PGMLIB/Steplib for this program! Its just running and I have no idea how. Google didn`t return anything either.
I was wondering if someone here has any prior experience with TIF to PSEG format conversion using a mainframe job.
AND if the POD0100 that is running on our mainframes is an IBM standard program? And/or if any form of documentation is available to read this program and understand what format is expected.

I welcome any other ideas you might have to help us understand what steps to take next.

Thanks!!
Ravi
ravinfy

Re: Issue with converting TIF to PSEG on Mainframes

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Problem is, there is no PGMLIB/Steplib for this program! Its just running and I have no idea how.
Google z/os linklist for enlightenment.

I haven't heard of POD0100 before, so I don't know if it is an IBM program or something from another vendor, or something written in-house at your site.

This doesn't really seem to fit in the COBOL area.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
ravinfy (Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:24 am)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:44 am

Hello and welcome to toe forum,

Once you have found the library containing this module (most likely one of the libraries in the linklist concatenation), suggest you dump this module and look for "eye-catchers" (info easily readable by the eye) and look for anything you can read. There might be names or a copyright notice or the name of the vendor or author or something else.

You might work with your system support people to identify the library used when this is executed.

You might also search all of the source libraries on the system for this name or somethng very similar (i.e. code beginniing with POD). Looking in the jcl libraries might find somthing also. Possibly in the system scheduler?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby tmcilveen » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:09 pm

Must be the day for this failure.

I too have a client reporting this issue.
This is not an IBM program. from the link edit i see a date from 2003.

At best we are trying to get the source and re-assemble and link with the correct jes/afp macros and loadmodule.

2003 was many jes/apf/zos/mvs releases ago

anyone come up with a vendor (maybe a CBT tape offering)
tmcilveen

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

There are several pc-based products that will do this - if you are willing/able to download/upload the files.
Here is a link to one:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... 2xxx.shtml

This would not be very friendly for an on-going process. . .

As i mentioned, there might be some "eye-catcher"s in the load module - things other than the date(s).
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics