A PDF softcopy reader.

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

A PDF softcopy reader.

Postby Mehdi shri » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Dear friend
Is there any tools (exept IBM softcopy reader) for manageing IBM redbooks PDF's. When I use my PDF's, a link in this PDF that must point to the another PDF in not worked therefor I must open poited item manually. And where I can find the latest PDF's by it's package.
Mehdi shri

Re: A PDF softcopy reader.

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:27 pm

to read a PDF You will need a PDF reader
ACROBAT Reader might be the preferred one

IBM Softcopy reader will display old bookmanager format publications.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Re: A PDF softcopy reader.

Postby steve-myers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Just to expand on Mr. Sorichetti's comments. In my opinion the PDF form of the manuals is useless unless you intend to actually print the manual on 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch paper.

I did not particularly like the Java soft copy reader in its earlier releases; I haven't actually tried to use a current release. The old Windoze softcopy reader worked reasonably well in Windoze XP and earlier Windoze releases, but I doubt it will work in Windoze Vista, Windoze 7 or Windoze 8. I just use the the internet form of the manuals. The big difference is bookshelf search does not exist in the PDF versions of the manuals, and the in manual search in the dedicated softcopy reader is far better and much faster than in the dedicated PDF readers, though I concede search in the Acrobat reader on modern hardware is much better than it was 15 years ago

These users thanked the author steve-myers for the post:
Mehdi shri (Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:24 pm)
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics