Does IBM RFT support automating IBM'S PCOM emulator

Discuss about all tools related to Mainframes but usable in a PC/Computer like Mainframe Simulators, Emulators, Abend Assist etc...

Does IBM RFT support automating IBM'S PCOM emulator

Postby ivsuresh82 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:15 am

Hi All,

Did any one attempted automating Mainframe's Greenscreen [PCOM emulator] using IBM RFT? If so, Please let us know,
1. Is there any configuration settings to be made in RFT prior to automation?
2. Which version of RFT will support?

Regards,
Venkat.
ivsuresh82

Re: Does IBM RFT support automating IBM'S PCOM emulator

Postby Ed Goodman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:16 pm

from what I can see, it says that it "supports" 3270 terminal emulators.

Now the big question is whether you want to treat the PCOM screen like a windows screen, or if you want to try and interface using the venerable HLLAPI protocol.

I think the PCOM screen is really just text. I doubt RFT would be able to identify individual fields and treat them as separate objects like it does with buttons and edit boxes in windows. With HLLAPI, you can get to individual fields, so they may have added a layer that exposed 3270 fields as objects.

My guess would be that the 3270 support is a plugin/addon that you have to install. Then you'd configure it to work with your emulator.

A small piece of advice from someone who has been doing HLLAPI since 1991: The mainframe screen will report that it is "done" several times before it really is. There is NO final "now I'm really done" byte that gets sent.
Ed Goodman

Return to Simulators & Emulators