Which skills are most likely to be in demand in future

Which skills are most likely to be in demand in future

Postby deucalion0 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Hello all!!!

It's been a while since I asked a question here, I know I've asked a similar question before and I felt that my perception of Mainframe skills has changed since then and I am genuinely seeking some guidance with regards to where I should dedicate my free time to studying Mainframe skills.

So I'm in my 4th year and second job in my Mainframe career and I'm absolutely loving the work I do. I am extremely lucky to have came upon this career path.

I hope to work on the Mainframe for the next 30 years of my career. As much as I'd love to know everything about everything​ on the Mainframe, there is too much to learn and not enough time to learn it, which brings me to my question. What would be your recommendation, having been in the business longer than me to focus on and study?

I have spent time playing around with assembler, java, COBOL and lots of other areas on the Mainframe, but it's not way to build these skills when I'm not using them day to day.

I work for a reputed Mainframe software company and I get exposure to a lot of Mainframe experience but I feel my knowledge is a mile wide and an inch deep.

I want to focus my free time to learn skills that I'll be able to use in future and although that may not be an easy question to answer I'll definitely take all answers seriously and I'll dedicate time to learning what it is recommended.

I fully appreciate any response at all!

Thanks a lot!
deucalion0

Return to Career Guidance