Future of mainframe

Future of mainframe

Postby rajtamilan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 pm

I am a B.Tech(IT) 2009 passed out, i like to get trained in mainframe. but some of my friends told me mainframe is an outdated one.. i would like to know about the future of mainframe is there any opening for mainframe fresher? pls guide me
rajtamilan

Re: Future of mainframe

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 am

Large organizations continue to make extensive use of mainframes. IBM regularly sets records for its mainframe sales (not in terms of machines but in terms of the capacity). Mainframes are used with Java, Perl, C, C++, Apache, HTML, and many other web tools. IBM has started both educational and industry initiatives to convince more people to study and use mainframe technologies. Committing millions of dollars to these mainframe initiatives is indicative of IBM's estimation of the "outdated" nature of the mainframe. I've heard estimates as late as 2009 that if you do any kind of financial transaction online, there's a 95% chance that your data hit at least one mainframe along the way.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby GuyC » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:39 pm

I can explain it to you, but i can not understand it for you.
GuyC

Postby ctrevino » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 pm

People laughed at me back in 1998 when I gave up Chemistry to learn COBOL. I had a job before I left school and within 2 years doubled what I made as a Chemist. However, it is not enough just to know mainframes and all of the careers involved with them. You have to work hard to be good at what you do and continue to learn as IBM introduces new facets. I told my boss ten years ago when I was taking webmaster classes (while working as a COBOL programmer) that one day there would be web page based gui front ends to COBOL programs. He laughed at me and said never in this shop. He retired and we have implemented 3 systems since that are COBOL CICS back ends with web services to ASP.NET pages. I do mainframe application programming and I love it. Sure I worry but it seems like they will still be around for awhile.

People have been claiming that mainframes are going away but then again they have been saying that for 30 years now.
Christy T.

Wherever you go, there you are - Buckaroo Banzai
ctrevino

Postby rajtamilan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Thank u all..now I am undergoing mainframe training for application development.
rajtamilan

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:29 pm

You're welcome - good luck :)

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to Career Guidance