Career switch to MVS programmer.

Career switch to MVS programmer.

Postby jfullmetal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:14 am

Hi,

I am working as a RACF/ACF2 admin for around 3 Yrs. I know the basics of MVS, however would like to make my career growth into core MVS Technical Team. What I mean is Mainframe System Programming.

I have few queries, if anyone can help me with these, it would be really appreciated.

a) What is the career growth in compared to Mainframe Security. When i say career growth, please do not misunderstand me as ' Payscale ' Growth. I am looking for learning.
Money is always an attraction but not my priority right now. I guess it will automatically come once I am at that stage :-D

b) Does COBOL knowledge is required ( More then just the basics ) ?
I have basic knowledge of REXX, CLIST and Proc Libraries and I am good with JCL's

c) What kind of work MVS programmer does ( apart from installation ), is he responsible for all other application support as well. I am really sorry for my ignorance here. I did interact with MVS Guys but never really asked this question.

c) Whether a company will take a newbie like me who has just the theory and never actually was a MVS System Programmer.

Thanks
JFullMetal
jfullmetal

Re: Career switch to MVS programmer.

Postby MrSpock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:45 am

If this helps any, I found this job posting recently for a Systems Programmer:

Required skills include:
* Extensive IBM 370 Assembler language programming experience.
* Extensive c language programming experience.
* Extensive knowledge of IBM zOS JCL and utility programs.
* REXX programming experience.
* PL/1 programming experience.
* Strong knowledge of zOS, JES2, & JES3 internals including control blocks, job flow, and configuration parameters. Experience coding user exists is a plus.
* Extensive experience with IBM Advanced Function Printing. In depth knowledge of AFP structured fields and the Information Interchange Architecture; Including BCOCA, FOCA, GOCA, IOCA, MO:DCA, and PTOCA.
* Working knowledge of AFP programs including PSF and PPFA.
* Extensive Knowledge of PDLs including Xerox Metacode, LCDS/DJDEs, XES, PCL, and PDF.
*Understanding of Xerox print resources including .FNT, FRM, .IMG, and .LGO formats.
* Experiencing coding routines to scale and rotate bit map objects.
* Experience maintaining a software configuration management system. Knowledge of "CAEndevor" is a plus.
* Experience using Cole Software's zXDC debugging software.
* Extensive IBM SMP/E knowledge including the coding of MCS, creation of PTFs/APARs, and the generation of base products.
* Knowledge of TCP/IP programming techniques.
* Fundamental understanding of the UNIX operating system and commands.
* Previous work experience with the Xerox Printer Access Facility software.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
*BS or MS in Computer Science or Information Systems.

I'm only good for those skills that I highlighted.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby jfullmetal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:35 am

Thank you MrSpock.

I got answers to few of my queries like REXX and other coding language is a must and also got a basic overview of what MVS Person does.
Are there levels of person in MVS based on criticality of the job ?

Also i feel that the below points highlighted may depend on company to company.
-----------------
Extensive experience with IBM Advanced Function Printing. In depth knowledge of AFP structured fields and the Information Interchange Architecture; Including BCOCA, FOCA, GOCA, IOCA, MO:DCA, and PTOCA.
* Working knowledge of AFP programs including PSF and PPFA.
* Extensive Knowledge of PDLs including Xerox Metacode, LCDS/DJDEs, XES, PCL, and PDF.
*Understanding of Xerox print resources including .FNT, FRM, .IMG, and .LGO formats.
----------------
Thanks again for a quick response.

Regards
Jfullmetal
jfullmetal

Postby Bill Dennis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:29 pm

jfullmetal,

I was like you, experienced in JCL and system utilities and looking to move into Systems Programming. Lucky for me the company didn't find any experienced applicants and I was given the chance to learn on the job. The most important skills in my opinion are:

* Extensive IBM 370 Assembler language programming experience.
* Extensive knowledge of IBM zOS JCL and utility programs.
* REXX programming experience.
* Strong knowledge of zOS, JES2, & JES3 internals including control blocks, job flow, and configuration parameters. Experience coding user exists is a plus.
* Extensive IBM SMP/E knowledge including the coding of MCS, creation of PTFs/APARs, and the generation of base products.
* Knowledge of TCP/IP configuration techniques.[/b]
* Fundamental understanding of the UNIX operating system and commands. (zOS is part UNIX now!)
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
*BS or MS in Computer Science or Information Systems.

There is a series of IBM Redbooks on the ABCs of zOS System Programming to get some good background. Search for these.

I am concerned about growth in the field as many sites are moving to newer systems they have been told are better (Linux, Windows). However, many current SYSPROGs are due to retire soon and universities are beginning to place more emphasis on the mainframe. Maybe there's hope for you.
Regards,

Bill Dennis

Disclaimer: My comments on this forum are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity.
Bill Dennis

Postby jfullmetal » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:49 am

Thank you so much Bill,

I now understand better, what I have to look and learn.
I have downloaded few books on MVS and will read those first, looks like a long way to go.

Regarding new systems replacing Mainframe, I am hearing and reading this from years.
So I know it won't happen atleast in this and coming generation :D

JfullMetal
jfullmetal

Return to Career Guidance