Should i consider certification(s)?

Should i consider certification(s)?

Postby vijay_singh7 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:39 pm

i am currently working in mainframe technology and i am planning to do some certification in mainframe technology so please provide me guides regarding this
vijay_singh7

Re: What kind of job is Mainframe?

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:29 pm

provide me guides regarding this

the first advice You should follow is...
when You ask a question start a new topic !
it is considered bad netiquette to piggyback on a completely unrelated topic.
You might be more successful in getting good answers
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Re: What kind of job is Mainframe?

Postby Robert Sample » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Broadly speaking, there are three areas of mainframe usage: operations, programming, systems support. Operations people run the daily / weekly / monthly / etc jobs, monitor the console for messages, get tapes into the system and out of the system, and so forth. Programming people write and maintain code to perform functions for the business. Systems support people update the operating system and products, install new products, ensure the machine is running as efficiently as possible, resolve problems, and so forth.

The three groups are all important and have very different skill sets. Saying you are interested in mainframe technology is not telling anybody anything -- it's like saying you're interested in plastics but not telling if its chemical composition, manufacturing, commercial usages, industrial usages, consumer usages, or something else where your interests are.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to Career Guidance