Usage of Mainframes for Typical Engineering Simulations

Usage of Mainframes for Typical Engineering Simulations

Postby sathish531 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Hello,
Can anyone please let me know the usage of mainframes in the field of Engineering for running the complicated simulations that normally run for 1 or 2 days on a normal workstation?
Are there any companies which use Mainframes as their core IT system for running these kind of Engineering related simulations?
Am asking these because, I was a Mainframe application programmer with good experience and has recently shifted to my mother engineering branch (mechanical), so would like to know if there are any good prospects with the mixture of both these varied fields.
Thanks
sathish531

Re: Usage of Mainframes for Typical Engineering Simulations

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 pm

I dare to say that the two skills are pretty disjoint
from a mainframe point of view the mechanical/engineering skill is irrelevant/useless
( OK, it might help a bitsy bit if You had to design a BOM, SHOP FLOOR CONTROL applications
but probably just for the terminology )

from a pure mechanical/engineering point of view I do not really see the plus of a mainframe skill

for simulation the strength is in the algorithms, the jcl to run a simulation would be pretty simple I guess :D
MY PERSONAL OPINION, naturally !
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby sathish531 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks enrico-sorichetti.
sathish531

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Mainframes are typically not used for simulations, anyway. Specialized computers, sometimes based on mainframes, are more commonly used and often specialized languages are selected to accommodate the parallelism implicit in most simulations. As Enrico said, having mainframe skills would not be of much benefit, if any, for someone working on simulations (much less mechanical engineering).
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby sathish531 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks Robert Sample for your time :-)
sathish531

Return to Career Guidance