Getting started with Mainframes

Getting started with Mainframes

Postby ewii » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:42 am

Hello,

I am currently an application analyst who spent the past five years as a computer operator three of them
performing batch jobs on OpenVMS and z/VSE systems. I became interested in mainframes during that time;
however, I never acted up that interest. In two-three years, I will have the opportunity to move into a new
area of IT, and I was thinking about learning COBOL and z/OS. I was hoping to receive some guidence on the
best way to do this. I have some knowledge of SQL and I have an Associates in Computer Programming. I was
looking at the programs that Marist has at the IDCP, and I was thinking that the z/OS system certificates and
the COBOL application programming ones would be the best.

Also, should I learn more about DB2 or IMS, and are mainframes a good area for a twenty-something IT
professional?

Thank you all for your assistance.

ewii
ewii

Re: Getting started with Mainframes

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

In two-three years, I will have the opportunity to move into a new area of IT
Is this opportunity within the organization where you currently work?

If yes, i would talk with your current management and possibly the management of the new group you where might relocate. If they know your plans are to do this, they should be able to recommend things with which you should become more more familiar. They may also have thoughts about which training facilities provide training that compliments their direction.

Learning COBOL is probably a very good thing if the new area is primarily application development and maintenance. SQL will probably become more of your future as well. Depending on the direction of your organization, IMS may or may not be a priority. If only a few of the current applications are IMS, DB2/SQL may be where time is better invested. Another discipline on z/OS is JCL. This is somewhat different than the job processing control statements of other enviaonments. The good news is that this JCL has been in use for 40 years, so there are lots of references available free via web searches :)

Good luck!
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby ewii » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:46 pm

d.sch

Unfortunately is it is not within my current organization. For a variety of reasons, I may have to relocate.

I have been working on my SQL a lot, so that is good to here.

-ewii
ewii

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:23 am

Hello,

Best of luck :)

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby PRINCE VARSHNEY » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:17 pm

hello friends...
i am prince working in mainframe on production support domain in tcs having experience of 1 month... actually i hv lots of confusion about my work... is PRODUCTUON SUPPORT good for my carreer and i will b where after having one yr or 2yr working experience in same...

please tell me..
PRINCE VARSHNEY

Return to Career Guidance