Career growth in MF...???

Career growth in MF...???

Postby harika » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi Sir/Madam,

I am Harika. I am working for a Health Care company as Coding Analyst in Mainframes using TSO/ISPF. I have 2 yr experience. I don't have any certification.

My friends suggest me to learn Testing and not to prefer MF as base for my career as there may not be any growth. Also I heard from many saying that there are not much openings for MF.

But I am very much interested in MF. I am sure that I can prove myself in MF. But I am scared whether there are any opening or not.

Can you please advice me whether I have career growth in MF?

Thanks & Regards,
Harika.
harika

Re: Career growth in MF...???

Postby Akatsukami » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:41 am

I cannot speak for the Indian market in particular, as I am not in it. However, globally there seems to be considerable opportunity for growth in mainframe software development and administration.

Now, note that not all people working on mainframes are equal. Those that know nothing but a little (largely misunderstood and/or misapplied) jargon and how to "borrow" sort decks from each other are likely to spend their entire lives in entry-level positions (including that of test executioner). OTOH, decades of experience have now conclusively demonstrated that attempting to processing and store data on a toy computer is a loser's game; any modern Net application is a thin client with a fancy GUI, that immediately transmits data to a mainframe where it will be processed (usually) by a COBOL/CICS/DB2 program. Be capable of using these, and your prospects will suddenly open.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby harika » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 am

Thank you so much for the reply...

I am planning to go for some coaching on Mainframe with COBOL Language. Will that help me? Please suggest.
harika

Postby NicC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 am

Why not buy a book on COBOL, and download one of the free compilers for the PC? Cheaper and you can study as and when you like. A good book will tell you where there are differences between mainframe syntax and PC syntax - mainly around specifying the files to be used. A good compiler will allow the use of 'VSAM' files on your PC.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to Career Guidance