Reg: Mainframe Opportunities

Reg: Mainframe Opportunities

Postby gowthamgyaa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Hello Everyone,
How can i make myself employable as Mainframe Application Programmer.
How s the Job opportunities by the end of this year.
I m looking forward to do a Mainframe Application Programmer Course for 3 months.
I request you to give your valuable suggestion for my questions.
Thank you all in advance.
gowthamgyaa

Re: Reg: Mainframe Opportunities

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Suggest you start looking for organizations that hire people right out of training. Explain when your course will end and your availability.

Ta;lk with your training organization about job placement assistance - some do this, some do not. Fiknd some people who have recently completed the same training and learn if they received help getting placed.

You might consider where you now are located and if you are willing/able to relocate. Depending on where you are, there may be more opportunities there or somewhere else. I would certainly learn which organizations in which locales are looking for people simkilar to you.

While many of the current training is 3 months, be aware that in the industry, this is very little time.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 pm

First, learn to read
Second, learn to understand
Third, learn to implement

What your topic had to do with CLIST or REXX is beyond me so I have moved it to a more appropriate location which you obviously could not find as you have not managed point 1 yet.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby gowthamgyaa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:36 am

Thank you Dick scherrer & Nicc for ur valuable reply , When i see to our Mainframe forum job listings 90% of Jobs are available lly for Experienced people. So how can i make my chance of getting employed as Mainframe programmer in Industry as a Fresher?
What are advancement can i do after being a Mainframe Programmer & what may be the nature of job and promotion's?

Kind regard's
Gowtham
gowthamgyaa

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 am

Hello,

Yes, most jobs do require some amount of experience. Due to the number of positions some places, employers are willing to hire people with only training and little or no work experience. As i mentioned earlier, ask your training orgainzaton about job placement assistance.

Possibly there are organizations that use some kind of internship.

I would focus on getting hired once training is complete. Then be concerned about advancement. It is much easier to find work when one is already working. Which means you don't have to get the job for the rest of your life on your first hire.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:22 pm

There are often jobs coming up on CWJOBS tht are looking for junior programmers - most often in Berkshire so probably Newbury so probably Vodaphone. Have you tried asking companies directly?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to Career Guidance